Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Community > General

General Please use this forum to post feedback, suggestions and problems relating to 12oclockhigh.net

Old 25th March 2008, 00:08

cheesey
Website design advice.

Hello all.

After 5 years of researching the subject, I think I am ready to begin looking into launching a website on my chosen subject (Allied & Luftwaffe losses over the Channel Islands 1940-45) as a way of bringing in new info.

However, I have absolutely no experience of website design! Can anyone help with a few pointers to software, hosting etc,etc? The site would be simple to begin with. No bells and whistles just quite subdued and restrained if you know what I mean! By the way, I am not made of money so can't really afford expensive design software.

Any help would be appreciated.......Steve.
Old 25th March 2008, 18:19

Matzos is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Website design advice.

Hi,

I started off on my site by using 1st Page, its free - web-page designer http://www.evrsoft.com/1stpage2.shtml

and then use www.1and1.co.uk for web-housing, they have some good deals from time to time.

All the best with your site
Old 25th March 2008, 19:21
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

For the principles of designing a site, I found The Non-Designer's Web Book by Robin Williams (Peachpit Press) very good.

It's not technical or tied to particular software but explains how to make things look clear and organised, rather than a mess.
Old 26th March 2008, 23:24

cheesey

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've downloaded 1st Page and have dipped one toe in very gingerly, gulp. I'll see how it goes. It's been a long day so i'll get more into it during the next few days and see how I get on.

Thanks again....Steve.