Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 12th April 2008, 22:11
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Tail Markings on Soviet Warplanes (1941)

While assembling the photomaterial for my two-volume book on the air war in Bessarabia and Southern Ukraine in 1941, I came across many photos of Soviet aircraft types with various tail markings, mostly coloured lines painted on the the fin-and-rudder.
I assumed - and mentioned it accordingly in the book - these markings denoted various VVS units.

I am wondering if any research has been made in this regards and if yes, what are the conclusions.
Old 14th April 2008, 08:29
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Re: Tail Markings on Soviet Warplanes (1941)

Well, it is hard to say, not knowing what particular markings do you have in mind.
Old 14th April 2008, 22:10
Alter Hase

As I said, 'various tail markings, mostly coloured lines painted on the the fin-and-rudder.'
There are e.g., lines on the top of fin-and-rudder, or painted in an angle, or curved lines on the rudder, etc., etc. Just check the period photos.

I am wondering about the actual meaning of all these 'decorations'...
Old 15th April 2008, 03:18
Alter Hase

As noted, there were several markings. Generally spinner and tail tips denoted Eskadrilya, blue red and yellow being used in various sequences. There is a discussion as to what lightning denoted, but I believe it was marking of a master crew.
Old 17th April 2008, 14:28
Alter Hase

That's exactly what I am interested in, namely what markings denoted which basic unit (squadron)? Please add to my 'wish list' the various coloured rear fuselage rings (including yellow!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franek Grabowski View Post
...what lightning denoted, but I believe it was marking of a master crew.
I very much doubt this, as I have photos of I-16s with various tail numbers, all sporting yellow (?) lightning on the fin-and-rudder base. It was rather a unit marking (but which one?).
Old 17th April 2008, 17:49
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dénes Bernád View Post
That's exactly what I am interested in, namely what markings denoted which basic unit (squadron)? Please add to my 'wish list' the various coloured rear fuselage rings (including yellow!).
Is yellow confirmed by a colour photograph? Tips denoted Eskadrilyas (flights?), rings could be Divizya markings, this varied over the war. There was no constant order of colour within units, eg. red - 1, yellow -2, blue - 3, green -4 like in the RAF.
Quote:
I very much doubt this, as I have photos of I-16s with various tail numbers, all sporting yellow (?) lightning on the fin-and-rudder base. It was rather a unit marking (but which one?).
Although 57 GvIAP used yellow lightning as a unit emblem, most of such photos show different aircraft at different locations.
Old 31st December 2015, 04:00

oquaig is on a distinguished road

I would like to revive this thread as I have the same question...Soviet combat aircraft had markings on the top of the rudder, sometimes referred to as the "forage cap". From what I understand the marks identified the regiment the aircraft belonged to (please correct me if I am wrong). Has anyone found out more about these unit symbols or has anyone ever cataloged these unit markings ?

Thanks in advance
Oquaig