Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 21st January 2006, 04:00

stephen f. polyak is on a distinguished road
Data Plates Exposed #2: Do 217 N

Hi TOCH:

Next in the "Exposed" series is Do 217 N, Werk-Nr. 352375. This plate, possibly a main aircraft identification plate, was brought home as a "war prize" by a American GI.

Note, the original Hersteller entry was carefully removed by machine tool. This was likely done to avoid information (company name and location) disclosure should the plate (i.e., aircraft) fall into Allied hands. The company code "jbo" is placed in the inspector's stamp entry box on the lower left. This code identifies the aircraft builder as Dornier-Werke G.m.b.H.

I welcome learning more about the service history of this airplane.

Also, I'm still seeking information about Ju 87 D-3 (Tp), Werk-Nr. 100019.

Best regards,
Steve

Last edited by stephen f. polyak; 20th April 2006 at 04:46.
Old 9th February 2006, 22:02
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Data Plates Exposed #2: Do 217 N

Hi All

Is this really a true and correct WNr?
Reason I ask is that it is NOT included in Griehl's book about the Do 217

Cheers
Stig
Old 10th February 2006, 03:25

stephen f. polyak is on a distinguished road

Hi Stig,

It is not clear if this is a main aircraft (airframe) identification (ID) plate or not; I have never seen another Dornier plate like this one. If it is a main plate, 352375 is certainly a Do 217 Werk-Nr. If not, 352375 is most likely a Do 217 subassembly or structural part werk-number.

While Griehl does not list this number, he also says that his Werk-Nr. list is neither complete or totally correct. And he does list other numbers in the 3xxxxx range.

Considering the plate itself, there are indications both ways. It's size is relatively large, which points to a main ID plate. However, the plate lacks a build/acceptance date entry and Air Ministry inspector's stamp typically found on main plates. To add further confusion, there are also cases where the airplane Werk-Nr. was entered on plates other than the main plate; these plates were commonly fitted to the fuselage (inside and/or out).

I'm hoping TOCH readers will offer further information.

Steve
Old 10th February 2006, 08:47

fran

Hello Stephen,
This is a subassembly part plate. '8-' Stands for airframe part (engine part would be '9-')

Regards
Fran