Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 18th February 2006, 05:57

stephen f. polyak is on a distinguished road
Smile Data Plates Exposed #5: Do 18 D-1

Next in the series is a main identification plate from the lovely Dornier Do 18 flying boat. This plate is another "war prize" brought to the U.S.; no other specific information is known - yet. The aircraft, a D-1 reconnaissance model Werk-Nr. 714, was built by Dornier (another Do 18 source was Weser) in 1937. Production of the type ended in 1939 with approximately 150 built. Do 18s would serve the Luftwaffe through 1944.

I would like to thank those who have commented favorably about this series, and those who have provided information about the planes represented.

And I always enjoy hearing from those who have Luftwaffe aircraft data and identification plates; pictures sent to my e-mail address are most welcome. You will always get a reply.

Last edited by stephen f. polyak; 1st May 2006 at 01:18.
Old 18th February 2006, 12:42

Seaplanes will become famous soon enough
Re: Data Plates Exposed #5: Do 18 D-1

For your information, Do 18D-1 W.Nr. 714 was noted in service as late as April 27, 1944, when this aircraft was transferred from Kampfbeobachter Schule Parow to Flieger Zieldivision (target towing).
A total of 170 Do 18's of all versions including prototypes and civil aircraft were built. The last being delivered in September 1940. The Do 18 saw frontline service up to early 1942. However, the aircraft survived in numbers by the training establishments and a few with the Seenotdienst, well into 1944. By the end of September 1944, 28 aircraft remained on Luftwaffe strength.
Old 19th February 2006, 04:58

Thank you "Seaplanes" for helping to bring history to the Do 18 plate.

Apparently, at some time near the end of the war or thereafter, an American serviceman (or someone) found 714 and its main plate; airplane data/identification plates were often taken as souvenirs.

The plate eventually made its way to the U.S. where, having passed through several hands, it remains today.

Steve
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:15

ArtieBob will become famous soon enough
Hs 129 data plate

Dear Stephen,

I hope you don't object if I add the images of a few data plates to your thread. I do not have the plates themselves, these images are copied from intelligence reports. I will post the first one and if it is OK I will post a few more. Thank you for the images you have already shared.

Best regards,

Artie Bob
Old 23rd February 2006, 04:36

Artie,

Yes, by all means, please share those pictures. And thank you for your interest. I had no idea that "gen" reports contained images of plates. This one, judging by the entries, appears to be a main ID plate from a Hs 129 (B2). Can you summarize the planes' history; e.g., where was it found and by who; what's the W-Nr. (hard to read)?

I can't wait to see others!

Best wishes,
Steve

PS: I will include some Ju 88 plates in the coming "exposed" submissions.