Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 1st May 2009, 15:48

DrZink is on a distinguished road
Enola Gay

Th other day I watched the second episode of the old PBS series connections (James Burke, 1978). It ended with the Enola Gay starting its engines, taxiing and taking off. Surely this had to have been a mockup - Fifi perhaps? When was the last time the Enola Gay flew? Anybody know?

Dr. Z
Old 1st May 2009, 17:43

aaatripp is on a distinguished road
Re: Enola Gay

You're suspicions are probably correct. I believe that FIFI is the last flyable B-29 in the world (if I'm wrong....somebody please speak up). Approx. 25 years ago I saw FIFI take off on the SE runway at San Antonio Intl. Airport.....what a thrill to have that thundering a/c fly right overhead!

For many, many years the legendary ENOLA GAY languished behind the scenes at a warehouse of the Air & Space Museum known as the Garber Restoration Facility. A controversy erupted when the then Smithsonian dir. planned to use only the fuselage of the ENOLA GAY as a centerpiece for a 50th anniversary exhibit (50 yrs. from the atomic missions) which was to include a display describing "american war crimes" against the Japanese. This met with massive resistance from veterans groups and the survivors of the atomic missions; the resulting display was much diminished in scope. I met both pilots, Paul Tibbetts Jr. and Charles Sweeney in late '98 and early '99 and heard their own stories of the missions and the need to end the war quickly.

Finally, after many years, #82 ENOLA GAY was fully restored and proudly stands in the Udvar-Hazy facility near Dulles airport in DC. Hope that this provides some background info. for you.

Tripp
Old 1st May 2009, 21:58

drgondog is on a distinguished road

The Enola Gay's last flight was to Andrews AFB in 1953 where it stayed until moved to Smithsonian in 1960
Old 2nd May 2009, 20:54
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Just to say that I would have thought that at the time of the Atomic raid she would have already have a few Black mission markers ( three I think) and so for the display years later it would have been correct if she had worn them . The Red markers being for the Atomic raids ( two I think).

And just while on the subject, "The Great Artist"'s new artwork is Not 100% accurate, but is close to original.

Alex
Old 3rd May 2009, 01:02

FrankieS is on a distinguished road

The airplane's last flight ended on 2 December 1952 when it touched down at Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland, where it remained in outdoor "storage", unprotected and unattended, as part of the Smithsonian Institution's collection until July 1961.