Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 3rd December 2016, 12:58
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road
Re: FAA Corsair Squadrons. claims

Yep. Seen it, read and reread it.....as you know FAA stuff is as rare as hens teeth in a lot of cases. By the way I managed to get a look at Hobbs BPF book. It does look the money. He has obviously looked into the subject and there's quite a bit new. For example on 29 January 1945 Victorious' fighters claimed ten kills in the air, and ten more on the ground. I am swithering on whether to buy it. Maybe if I get a book token or two from christmas?

regards

Keith
Old 4th December 2016, 12:45

peter.r is on a distinguished road

Hello keith A, just seen your post about David Hobbs book "The British Pacific Fleet" being a bit pricey, if you have a kindle tablet you can download it for almost half the price than the book. Hope this is of use to you
Old 4th December 2016, 18:14
Alter Hase

Cheers Peter. Yep I saw it. Its still a lot more than I would pay for a Kindle edition. I am biding my time and dropping hints
Old 4th December 2016, 20:38

Bruce Lander is on a distinguished road

Hi,
glad you have seen a peek at Hobb's book. I am dropping heavy hints when family ask what do i want for Christmas.

Bruce Lander
Old 5th December 2016, 04:54

Tom Semenza

Bruce and Keith,

I recently purchased a copy of the Hobbs book. While it is overall an excellent history of the BPF, you will learn nothing new concerning claims by FAA pilots which are not found in previous sources. The bit mentioned by Keith regarding claims by Victorious Corsairs on 29 Jan 45 reads as follows:

"Victorious' Corsairs had destroyed nine 'Tojos' and an 'Oscar' in the air during the strikes. Major Hay was credited with two of these with two more shared. Sub Lieutenant (A) French RNVR was credited with another two and Sub Lieutenants (A) Richards, Chute and Blair RNVR with one each. Lieutenant Commander (A) Hopkins RNVR and Sub Lieutenants (A) Sheppard and Richards RNVR shared the remainder. Ten more including two 'Nicks', one 'Oscar', two twin-engined and five single-engined aircraft were destroyed on the ground by Lieutenant Commander Hopkins, Lieutenant Durno and Sub Lieutenants (A), Richards, Roberts, Spreckley and Haviland-Davis RNVR."

Comparing the air claims with the claims listed in "Air War for Burma" it is quite clear that Hobbs has included claims from both 24 Jan and 29 Jan in the above totals which I believe is what Hobbs intended as he was analyzing both phases of Operation Meridian. One can only guess at which pilots claimed what on the ground and on what date.

The most complete coverage on claims is for Seafires. However what he writes is word for word taken from David Brown's excellent book The Seafire-The Spitfire that went to Sea!

Hope this helps you decide whether or not the Hobbs book is worth getting.

Tom
Old 6th December 2016, 21:05
Alter Hase

....i guess that's an argument for leaving it alone
Old 19th November 2019, 16:20
Alter Hase

I have just seem something in the Forgotten Fleet by John Winton which might make the date of 1841 Squadrons victory on 29 July questionable. Apparently on that date the fleet was withdrawing to refuel and re-provision and flew no air strikes. Given that the Kate was shot down over Maizuru on a strike by Corsairs it must have been on another day.

regards

Keith
Old 19th November 2019, 20:55

Bruce Lander is on a distinguished road

Hi Kieth,
29.July 1945------------Lt.Cdr.R.L.Bigg-Wither---B6N (Kate)
just recalled that I did not mention my source for Bigg-Wither's Kate on
29 July ! it was from "A Formidable Commision" which I managed to see many years ago - at the time it was very costly and rare - and I could only view it in a reference library ( I see a copy on ebay for £26.00 )

Bruce Lander
Old 20th November 2019, 17:12
Alter Hase

Cheers Bruce.
Old 20th November 2019, 17:49
Alter Hase

Cheers Bruce. I was listening to Bigg-Wither talk about the victory on the IWM site and he mentioned that he was only in action for around seven or eight days during the period July 17 to the EOW. He hints at this being around the third day of operations but that means anything from 19 July to whenever, and even then it's difficult to decide if he means the third day after they switched operations from one sector to another! I decided to cross-reff this with Winton and spotted that the aircraft carriers were steaming away from Japan on 29th July. They were back in action on the 30th. It would be interesting to find out if Formidable had a record of the dates sorties.

By the way Hobbs (TBPF) credits Lt Winnie Churchill and his wingman Jimmy James with a shared "kill" on 24 January 1945, whereas TOE credits a sole victory. That makes his tally one destroyed and two shared (including the Bv138 in 1943), with two shared probables on 24 January.

regards

Keith