Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 7th January 2006, 01:30

Mifletz is on a distinguished road
Cockpit & cabin heating

Were the cabins or cockpit of any Axis or Allied warplanes heated in WWII? How was the heating achieved?
Old 7th January 2006, 09:52

David Ransome
Re: Cockpit & cabin heating

Hi,

Yes, certainly the Heinkel He111 had a system which had air heated by the engine exhaust fed through wide diameter 'hoses' to various key points in the aircraft ie cockpit, rear radio & gun compartment, and dorsal and ventral gun positions.

I believe that all medium to heavy German aircraft had a similar system, I can't say for single engine fighters, where the hot engine was only a short distance from the pilot!

Regards

David
Old 7th January 2006, 11:12
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

If you look at Halifaxes and some Spitfires you will see a small pipe at the rear of the exhausts that then goes into the aircraft structure. You can also see on Canadian-built Harvards a longer exhaust pipe than on the T-6: this has a small connection into the cockpit heating system.

I believe that all other contemporary types had some similar arrangement. Technical manuals are available for most types, which I expect will provide much more detail.
Old 7th January 2006, 20:46
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

Hi all;

Some Ju 88 A-4 (late) had an fuel burning heater in the cockpit. The exhaust outlet had at least two locations, on lower left side of cockpit, some front of the main ´roll-over´ frame of cockpit glazing, as seen on some photos. At least a few (two confirmed) had this outlet further aft, just in front of the main wing. The Ju 188 A-3 LT and some Ju 188 F-1 also had similar heater, the exhaust trail often visible behind an flush hole, apx. 30 or 40 mm in diameter on same side of nose. Some D-1 had heaters for the cameras in rear fuselage.

cheers
ed
Old 9th January 2006, 03:27
Alter Hase

Revi16 is on a distinguished road

Some German, British & American a/c also had electrical heating. Your flight suit would be electrically wired for heat and you would plug into the a/c electrical system.

Regards,
Mike