Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 22nd April 2013, 10:37

James Farrimond is on a distinguished road
Ju88 shot down off Lowestoft on 26 Jan 1941

Gentleman, I wonder if you could assist me with any information re the following loss?:
A four-seater Ju88 was shot down by the trawler Galvani (operating from Lowestoft) and crashed on the main land at Horsey near Great Yarmouth on 26th January 1941.
I suspect that the Junkers might have been part of III/KG30 operating in the area against shipping on 25th and 26th Jan but I can’t be sure.
Could someone please direct me to a source that will give me the pilot’s name, type of 88, confirm the unit and base he was from, etc. or consult Genst.Gen.Qu.6 on my behalf? Any info including the source gratefully received.
Old 23rd April 2013, 19:47
Alter Hase

Melvin Brownless is on a distinguished road
Re: Ju88 shot down off Lowestoft on 26 Jan 1941

Hi James, Could be this one: Source A.I.(g) & (k) Report.

Regards,

Melvin (www.aircrewremembrancesociety.co.uk)

26/1/41. 09.05 hrs. Ju 88 A-5 Wnr.0634 Coded. 4D+BS 8/KG 30

Location: Somerton Marshes, West Somerton, nr Great Yarmouth, Norfolk. MR: G.9438. (Cassini grid)

Took off from Schiphol at 08.00 hrs. following intercepted wireless reports that a British merchantman, SS Meriones was on fire and was being towed into Great Yarmouth. While flying at 600 ft. below cloud the crew came across a merchant ship which they dive-bombed at 150 ft. but the blast from the bomb caught one wing and the engine caught fire. The pilot made a good crash landing on land but the aircraft burnt out. A number of large holes and tears in the wings were traced which were probably caused by splinters from the aircraft's own bomb.

Markings: L in black, outlined in white. Spinners black. The undersurfaces were spray painted black and not smeared with lamp black as was customary. Engines: Jumo 211G, works nos. MMW 211 G-1/235 and MZK 211 G-1/1068.
Armament: one MG 15 in front position, one rear lower but top armament could not be ascertained due to canopy being jettisoned. Two 250 kg and ten 50 kg bombs carried.

A new type of dinghy was carried, which had a collapsible mast and sail, three sets of wooden paddles, instead of the usual light metal ones and the rowlocks were made of canvas and leather, instead of leather. Also two tallow signalling candles, about one foot long were carried. A different type of wireless equipment was carried but badly burnt. A full set of documents relating to navigational aids giving the position of wireless and light beacons was found.

Pilot: Fw. Walter Gutmann.
Obs: Uffz. Friedrich Martin.
W/T: Uffz. Simon Gaber.
B/M: Uffz. Josef Schmalzl.
Old 23rd April 2013, 20:22

Hi Melvin

Thanks very much for your reply. Im new to all this so i dont quite understand your source reference (Source A.I.(g) & (k) Report). can you please clarify it for me?

Thanks
James
Old 23rd April 2013, 23:59

Andy Mitchell will become famous soon enoughAndy Mitchell will become famous soon enough

James,

According to "The Blitz Then and Now V2"

0634 attached HM Trawler Galvani and crashed through the masts and rigging subsequently crashing on Somerton Holmes marsh at 09.05 as per Melvin notes.

Andy Mitchell

LuftwaffeData Wiki including the history of Aufklgr. 122
Old 24th April 2013, 08:56

Thank you Melvin and Andy. That's three different possibilities now. All sources say the a/c flew low. One says it was shot down by Galvani, another says it flew so low that it was damaged by it's own bombs and another says that it flew so so low as to fly into the ship itself!

Melvin can I please have the source of your information? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with your abbreviation

Cheers James

Tags
1941, ju88, lowestoft