Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 19th November 2008, 17:36

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road
Re: New book on Hungarian Me 210 (and much more)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjetil Aakra View Post
I have always been interested in what the Hungarians thought of the Me 210 and I guess this one will present the best possible answer!? I am only hoping you can get it published in English in its entirety at some time.

Congratulations on your work!
Kjetil,

Thank you. Indeed, you will find in this book the Hungarian opinion on the Me 210 Ca-1 (it was very popular among the crews). I know several veterans, who flew both the Caproni Ca.135 and the Messerschmitt Me 210 – well, if you want to hear entirely different opinions, you should ask such people about the Italian kite, since that Caproni was a very dangerous and unreliable aircraft (the most hated type of the Hungarian aviators during this period).

As for the entire English translation: the book contains a very long summary, much longer, than many English language aviation books entire text. It contains the most important parts of the Hungarian text and I made it only because several Zerstörer fans asked me from abroad. I got nothing for this extra work, of course. I said it many times: to me, the most important to publish these materials in Hungarian language. I don’t think, that I’ll have ever make a full translation of this book. I am continuously collecting and expanding everything, so even this text will change in the future. Maybe I’ll write once a comprehensive, analytical material about the Me 210 in Hungary, since I have some interesting additional info, but that will be differ from this work.

Incidentally, forgot to mention: the book is hardback, A/4 size with 180 pages. I’ll have some copies in December already, much sooner, than the several international distributors, if you are interested in.
Old 24th November 2008, 13:27

Kjetil Aakra

Hi Csaba.

Many thanks for your comments on the Me 210 (and Ca. 135!). I have always found it fascinating that the Huangarians reporedly liked this aircraft and used it well, whereas the Germans seemed to have so much trouble with it. But I guess that it also is a matter of perspective, if you are used to Capronis, flying a Me 210 will be something else!!

Seeing what you say about the English translation I must thank you for your unpaid effort which is greatly appreciated by me and other western enthusiasts. It certainly seem to be sufficent for our needs!

If you have copies for sale in December I'd like to buy one, how do we go about that?

Best regards,

Kjetil
Old 24th November 2008, 17:16

Peter Kassak is on a distinguished road

Hi Csaba,

I to would be interested in your newest "baby" As for the englisgh text...are the photo captions in english as well? that would be perfect...if not I will manage
keep us informed, pls...

also: Zerstorer Research Work Group,
"Geschichte des Zerstörergeschwader 76"
Old 24th November 2008, 19:41

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csaba Becze View Post
I’ll have some copies in December already, much sooner, than the several international distributors, if you are interested in.

..yes please...good luck with this !
Old 25th November 2008, 21:29

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road

Kjetil,

It is better to compare the Me 210 Ca-1 to the Me 410 (with a less powerful engine, of course), than to the Me 210 A. It was not a troublesome aircraft.

The Ca.310 and Ca.135 are different (but also very interesting) stories. Maybe once there will be a large-scale Ca.310 project which will contains Norwegian, Hungarian and Italian experiences too.

PeterKa,

The book contains bilingual (English/Hungarian) photo captions (colour profile captions and map legend are also bilingual). The rich appendix is bilingual too and additionally the book contains a large English summary.