Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th August 2016, 13:18

James Farrimond is on a distinguished road
What is the correct A/C code?

Gentleman

Is someone please able to assist me with the correct a/c code for the Ju88 which crash landed in Somerton, Norfolk on 26th January 1941?

The AI1(k) report gives the code as ‘4D+BS’ (overpainted from 5J+BS after the merger of KG4 and 30 III Gruppes in October 1940).

The AI1(g) however gives the ac code as ‘4?+LS’ with the L outlined in white.

The second digit was obviously ‘D’ for KG30 as the diving eagle shield on the nose testifies. No problems here.

The 4th digit ‘S’ would appear to be correct for III Gruppe 8th Staffel but the third digit requires some clarification.

Whilst I take the visual inspection of the a/c from the G report as the more accurate it is clear from the same that the code was at least partially damaged by fire.

If the L was outlined in white does this not signify that the a/c was attached to 1, 4, 7, 10 or 13 staffeln? Should it not have been outlined in red?

When the a/c changed KG's would it also change AC number or Staffel?

I guess the Genst.Gen.Qu wioud be the ultimate authority but I do not have access to it. Can someone clarify this for me? B or L?

Regards
James
Old 20th August 2016, 18:51

G.R.Morrison
Re: What is the correct A/C code?

KG 30's Sunday:

Ju 88A-5 WNr.7198, coded 4D+GS Oblt. Eberhard Gaul, B Gefr. Joachim Eibert, Bf Ogefr. Erich Stölzel (KIA) & Bs Uffz. Willi Rindfleisch MIA 26.Jan. 1941 due to Flak from HMS Wallace

Ju 88A-5 WNr.0634 of the 8./KG 30, coded 4D+LS F Fw. Walter Guttmann, B Uffz. Josef Schmalze, Bf Uffz. Simon Gaber & Bs Uffz. Fritz Martin P.o.W. 26.Jan. 1941 with crew due to striking the mast of HM trawler Galvani. Crash-landing Somerton Holmes Yarmouth, Norfolk. [References: Gen.Qu.6.Abt. (microfilm roll #3)-Vol.4; Foreman, 1941-The Turning Point, I, p.82; Bines via TOCH on 27-Jul-13]

Ju 88A-5 WNr.3261 of 8./KG 30, coded 4D+AS B Ofw. Kurt Fröhlig (P.o.W.), F Oblt. Ignatz Kraft, Bf Fw. Rolf Kollmeier & Bs Uffz. Herbert Müllerstein KIA 26.Jan. 1941 due to Flak from HM trawlers Reids and Fisher Boy, near Brightlingsea.

Some times discrepancies in Luftwaffe documentation remain unresolved.

The white-outline on an aircraft's individual letter doesn't indicate Staffel. Sometimes 1./4./7. Staffeln 'white' letters were white, or white with a black outline, but there are also examples of them being black, sometimes black with a white outline.

GRM
Old 20th August 2016, 19:13
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.R.Morrison View Post
KG 30's Sunday:
The white-outline on an aircraft's individual letter doesn't indicate Staffel. Sometimes 1./4./7. Staffeln 'white' letters were white, or white with a black outline, but there are also examples of them being black, sometimes black with a white outline. GRM
I disagree, for most part was main reason for outline applied at all, was to indicate Staffeln. Purpose for black outline was most often to reduce visiuality, particularily on night bombers, which is this period in question (Blitz winter 1940/41).
-Ed
Old 20th August 2016, 20:25

This letter L was black outlined in white. Would a white outline help nighttime camouflage?
Old 20th August 2016, 21:07
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

1. What were them Ju 88s doing?
2. Day on night missions?
3. To be visible as individual indentity, yes, think of a Black L on Black camo.
4. Better than a solid while L on black camo.
Old 21st August 2016, 11:54

Thank you gentleman for your assistance