Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 19th January 2011, 19:49

hucks216 is on a distinguished road
New Book - Die Ritterkreuzträger der Kampfflieger - Volume 1

Just thought I'd highlight the release of this book in case people were unaware of it. It is a dual German/English text and limited to 600 copies...
http://www.luftfahrtverlag-start.de/...pffliegerBand1

I've just ordered a copy so hopefully I can give an opinion about it soon.
Old 20th January 2011, 11:43

Re: New Book - Die Ritterkreuzträger der Kampfflieger - Volume 1

If you follow the link to the AHF a friend of the author has taken a couple of photos of the book contents. It does look like a quality book. As I understand it Vol 2 is being worked on at the moment and will also feature an appendix with additions & corrections to Vol 1...
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtop...50124#p1550124
Old 23rd January 2011, 12:40

Re: New Book - Die Ritterkreuzträger der Kampfflieger - Volume 1

Volume 1 arrived yesterday and my first impression is that it is a very good publication. It uses as its foundation the research that Ernst Obermaier had obtained for his intended publication on this subject matter to compliment his previous books on Jagd & Stuka/Schlachtflieger RKTs but due to his death in 1997 wasn't able to finish. In addition to this the author has conducted 10 years worth of further research to produce this book, one that fills a void. The basic format is that Swords & Oakleaf winners get a page to themselves while those who 'only' won the RK are 2 to a page. The information given is the Date & Place Of Birth & Death, the recipients final rank, the dates he was awarded the various grades of the RK as well as the Ehrenpokal & DKiG with the rank held at the time followed by a biographical section which includes, where known, the total of sorties flown - one piece of information I didn't know was that missions that lasted for 4 hours or more counted double.
One page contains the German language portion while the same area on the opposite page contains the English translation which has the added bonus that it has been possible to add extra photographs rather then just sticking to a portrait photo next to each header.

I would recommend this publication strongly to anyone who has an interest in the men who won the high awards of the Bomber arm. I look forward to Volume 2.