Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 31st March 2016, 09:49

Shiny1 is on a distinguished road
Air Raid at North Shields 30 Sep 1941

On the night of Tuesday 30th of September 1941 a major raid took place over the eastern half of North Shields in Tyne and Wear. Thirty eight high explosive bombs were dropped hitting targets such as the railway station and the docks.

A single stray bomb landed directly on the entrance to Preston Colliery air raid shelter killing the air raid warden who was on his way out of the shelter to check on some local residents.

That air raid warden was called George Greenacre and was the man who formed the Scout Group I am currently the leader at.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me anything about that raid in relation to the German Aircraft.

Things like which squadron the German planes were part of, where were they based, was North Shields their sole target that night or was it just an opportunistic target on their way to or from somewhere else?

When you read the following diary entry it was obviously a huge raid:

http://www.ne-diary.bpears.org.uk/Inc/ISeq_23.html

I have found quite a bit on line and in local papers from the time about the raid from the British point of view, now I want to know as much as I can about the Germans involved in it.

Is it possible to identify which plane dropped the bomb that killed George, or at least what type of plane it was?

Any help or information at all would be really appreciated.

Michael