Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th January 2007, 21:29

en830
Luftwaffe Bomber Shot down over Merseyside

I am trying to end an argument over dates, can anyone help with a list of Luftwaffe Bombers shot down over or near to Liverpool and Merseyside.

In particular I am looking for an aircraft that may have landed intact on the Mersey mudflats.

Thanks for your help
Old 6th January 2007, 15:11

Jon
Re: Luftwaffe Bomber Shot down over Merseyside

Hello.

October 8th 1940 a JU88A-1 from 2/KGr.806 was shot down by no 312 Squadron Hurricanes.
The JU88 Landed near Bromborough Docks on the mud flats near the Mersey. The incident took place at about 4.15 pm.
Oblt. Brueckmann, Uffz Weth and Sonderfuehrer Lehmann captured. Lt Zur Schlegel was killed.
Many books about the Battle of Britain carry descriptions of this crash with pictures of the JU88 looking rather sad in the mud.
Old 6th January 2007, 18:07

Fairlop

Hi Ian,

As Jon stated it should be Ju 88A-1 W.Nr. 4068, M7+DK of 2./KGr.806 s/d by trio of 312 (Czechoslovak) Sqn pilots. It f/l near baloon barage, ashore 4km SE of Birkenhead. A lot of pictures show the a/c almost intact, only left engine tear away.
If you want please feel free to contact me off board.

Regards,
Michal
Old 6th January 2007, 20:44

en830

Thanks both,

I'm specifically looking at 1942 and don't have much to go on except for this quote:-

Quote:
I was out in the square. There was a very loud roaring of aircraft engines. I looked up and saw a twin-engine German bomber flying very low with a thick plume of black oily smoke pouring from one of its engines. It was closely followed by a Spitfire in hot pursuit with its machine guns and canons stuttering away at the hapless bomber. There was a loud cheer from the crowds who had stopped to witness this dramatic event, and then both planes disappeared over the rooftops and into the distance. I stood there for a few moments waiting for the sound of a terrible explosion as the bomber crashed but it had continued its path to oblivion and finally came down in a ball of flame on the river flats with no survivors.
All I can say is that this is allegedly 1942, between February and November.

I would also be interested to know if the authorities tested any form of experimental anti aircraft missile close to or along the banks of the Mersey at any point prior to the end of 1942.

Apparently its use deterred at least one raid on Merseyside with devastating effect. It is claimed that is brought down several bombers.

I know the last raid on Liverpool was in January 1942, however I guess that the Luftwaffe did send aircraft to stooge around the area on Recce sorties for sometime afterwards. Would anyone know when was the last confirmed kill in the Merseyside area was?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Ian Le Sueur