Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 12th March 2018, 14:45
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Do 17

Trouble with reducing font size is text isn't pleasing on the eye & publishers don't like that. I am helping a chap who wrote a 160000 word book with no more than 30 photos. No publisher was interested. I managed to reduce it to 80000 words for him but still no interest not helped by lack of photos. It is a fine balance but photos help considerably.
Old 13th March 2018, 11:28
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

Chris, as for photos, I would go as far as to say that more than 90% of the buyers don't actually read the main text, but rather look at the illustrations and, perhaps, read the captions. Therefore, proper, abundant illustration is paramount to the (commercial) success of niche market books like ours are.
Old 14th March 2018, 14:03
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Dénes: Agreed. This is why Frontline have this series of good quality photos, 2 per page max with as full a captions as possible
Old 15th March 2018, 01:53
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Yes, it would begin to cut pages. Just make sure the font is still readable at the chosen/desired size.

Best,
Ed
Old 15th March 2018, 05:40
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Reducing font size is an excellent thing. I really loved the 2-volume set From Barbarossa to Odessa as it was filled with text, not empty space. Some Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust books are awful as the font is huge that in order to get the text within the page count the line spacing has been cut too narrow in relation to the font height.

It is also imperative to keep lines short (i.e. an A4 page is best with 3 columns, 2 is ok, but 1 is terrible). A very good layout example is Dennis Jenkins's Space Shuttle book.

I, for one, prefer text over photos, especially if the photos are not of premium quality (e.g. in an aircraft close up photo the resolution is too low to show rivet lines) and show generic scenes (production line photos showing manufacturing and design features are excellent, but most frontline photos are simply uninteresting).