Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Community > General

General Please use this forum to post feedback, suggestions and problems relating to 12oclockhigh.net

Old 9th July 2005, 14:32

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point
The London bombings

Dear Friends,

A bit belated, I'd like to express my condolences to our British brethren for the terrible pain that has been inflicted upon you by the despicable terrorists. We here in America are following news reports of the events and their aftermaths quite closely. The resolve, the "stiff upper lip", of the British people is impressive and very admirable, perhaps the most civilized of civilized societies on earth today.

I watched the police newscast this morning. I am horrified by the description of the situation currently existing as they described what you are having to contend with in the wreck between the Russell Square and Kings Crossing stations of the underground. In 2002, I stayed at the Royal National Hotel off of Russell Square and used that station to venture forth to the National Archives and Imperial War Museum. I also know just how jam packed the Russell Square station can be at that hour of the morning. The lift, about 15 ft. x 20 ft., which takes you down to the train level, fills to capacity, a tin can of human sardines. It's hot, but the British simply have a way of accepting the situation and so it functions smoothly. Then it is onto the trains. While they do have seats, at that hour there are likely more people standing than sitting, again a sardine situation. Still, it is the norm and accepted, knowing that shortly you will reach your destination and a bit more space and fresh air.

And then, in this, you have a huge explosion. One can only imagine in horror what happens to folks in such a tight situation. For those that do survive, per this morning's description, I am left to wonder if they dead were not the lucky ones, as extricating the wounded and trapped from this knarled mess must be a super-human task. And now, with the hours passing, it will turn into an operation of extracting the dead, jammed in amongst the physical structure of the destroyed train cars. It is hot and dusty in the tunnel and those working down there must deal with that and the horrors that they must face. And, there are two other trains with presumably identical tasks befalling the recovery teams.

My heart goes out to those in the British Isles for this dreadful event that has befallen you. Know that the rest of the world cares and is very concerned about what has taken place. We watch and listen intently, are horrified by what we see, but also proud of the manner in which the British peoples have handled this atrocity.

My condolences to all,
Richard