Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Off Topic

Off Topic Please use this forum to discuss all off topic subjects.

Closed Thread

Old 19th October 2014, 14:07

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: LEMB 2.0

Dear Ed, John, and Franck,

I can certainly see your points and, had others not written with "incomplete" information, we wouldn't have the wealth of publications that we have today.

If your points were directed at my situation, I'm one of those that have helped numerous authors with their works over the years, but not published myself, save for one privately produced history co-authored with Richard Lutz. By being privately held, we could use whatever resources we wished without worrying about copyrights, thus a more complete history was presented than might have otherwise been the case.

As for those I have helped, as well as others, the sharing is generally reciprocated, giving me a greater depth of insight than I would otherwise have had. When I pass on, my collection will go to the Museum of Flight in Seattle where others can make use of it. I pretty studiously indicate my sources on what I have.

I've held the view that publishing on our favorite niche in history is a work of love and question whether any royalties that come from our efforts are adequate recompense when one considers the time, money, and energy put into the effort. How many J. K. Rawlings do we really have amongst us?

I view TOCH! as a gathering of experts in the field. If a book is published that is full of errors, then it likely deserves a raking over. It's the classic worm and apple situation: If there are many errors, can you really trust anything the author is saying? It is not the critics that are at fault, as the first time they likely see the book is after it is published.

Perhaps, Franck, your issue is with the glee the critics seem to exhibit in ripping a work apart. This must be balanced, however, with kudos from the same critics when a book is well done.

Regards,
Richard
Old 19th October 2014, 16:37
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road

Dear Richard,

No, I'm not directing something AGAINST you.
I'm just explaning one situation to Neil, picturing one existing situation where being "enthusiast" is not considered the way he did; i.e. with that contemptuous manner.

As for the rest, I do consider, too, including this forum, that it is a good way to share knowledge.

I agree too that I did feed on many former posts wrote by many, from time to time. You haven't read them all, I don't ask you to do it and, if ever, I'm unable neither interested in find them precisely. They just are in my head.

But here we are facing a situation where people are pretending to be owner of eBay pictures, after the fact, others are pretending they are the owners of the links displayed, assuming this is an unacceptable game of mere "enthusiasts", threatening to sue them, who know nothing about nothing and, last, putting in doubt their own Professional compétences through insulting mails ...

I'm not talking about me, I'm just letting Neil to know I know... That's what I wrote above in this present post.
What I'm saying - to make short - is; enough is enough.

So, to restart to the initial question, it's obvious that Internet is creating huge waves in a little world which is not prepared to change what they used to do for more than 36 years (Indeed, I do chose 36 years precisely to send a personal message).

Since I haven't been involved in this business during a long time I certainly am not asking to be pay back for nothing, I've nothing to claim. But I just discovered that all in all, these are always the same old stories - the same world as it was but with something new: Internet and eBay.

Hence the game must be played differently.

Regards, Franck.

Last edited by ouidjat; 19th October 2014 at 17:11.
Old 19th October 2014, 17:26
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road

... This is one of the main reasons I turned my back once. The other being I had to build my life.

This is a world of collectors. Stamp collectors, if I dare
A world of collectors is a world of liars, thieves and of treachery.
Think about that.

But, now, thanks to eBay and Internet
1/ I'm not going to leave and
2/ Whatever the circumstances, you can make true and open friends, talking about all except planes and .. share a spaghetti Bolognese!

Cheers, Franck.
Old 19th October 2014, 17:37
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouidjat View Post
Dear Richard,

I'm just letting Neil to know I know...

Regards, Franck.
And that is why we have a private message facility, so the forum isn't used for private messages.
Old 19th October 2014, 17:46

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Publication, copyright and information sharing

Dear Franck,

I'm afraid this discussion is turning into a one-sided flame war. You wrote: "A world of collectors is a world of liars, thieves and of treachery." That's a pretty strong view which I don't think most others share. I'm sorry if you have been stung by someone. I can certainly admit that it happens. But, to castigate in one sweeping generalization all those gathered here is unacceptable.

Regards,
Richard
Old 20th October 2014, 15:52
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Publication, copyright and information sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard T. Eger View Post
Dear Franck,

I'm afraid this discussion is turning into a one-sided flame war.

Regards,
Richard
Exactly, Richard. And for that reason this thread is now closed.