Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 6th December 2019, 12:04

madaroums is on a distinguished road
Re: Operation Ironclad claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Semenza View Post
Bruce,

As you probably already know, the six claims by 881 are found in Dust Clouds in the Middle East and no probables are mentioned. The only other claim I have found is by Mid.(A) Andrew Cameron Lindsay, RNVR of 881 for an unidentified twin engine aircraft damaged on 6 May 42 at 06:00 [per Sturtivant in Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939 to 1945].

Also from Sturtivant, B Flight of 800 Sqn. destroyed 3 MS.406s and 4 Potez 63s on the ground at Diego Suarez on 5 May.

I have not found any fatalities for 881 on that date or during that period. The only FAA fatalities on 6 May at Madagascar were a crew of an 829 Swordfish [Sturtivant and CWGC website].

Regards,
Tom
Hello
According to pictures taken by FAA photograph after action, only three Potez 63-11 were destroyed on ground inside the hangar at Diego Arrachart airfield. It is confirmed by the French unit ORB that only three Potez were stationned here.

The only plane straffed outside on the airfield was a civilian one. There is a picture of it at Kew National archives. According to this picture, it could be the Puss Moth belonging to Percy Mayer who was "a British spy"...

Best regards
Franck
Old 6th December 2019, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocee View Post
This is from the Admiralty wartime publication "Fleet Air Arm":

"On the morning of the 7th May the Martlet patrol saw two Morane fighters approaching from the southwest. The leader of the section attacked the first Morane head on. His aircraft was hit in the wings and engine , and he forced-landed in the water off one of the beaches......Meanwhile the second Martlet had followed his leader into the attack, but seeing two more Moranes following him he turned and shot down one of them. The pilots of the Martlet section which was flying above as top cover ,seeing the dogfight below them, dived and shot down the three remaining Moranes."

Strangely, it does not name the pilots of the first section but lists the claims of the second: Lt. C.C. Tomkinson (1) and Lt. J. Waller (2), and also mentions that Tomkinson claimed a Potez 63 the previous day.
Hello
According to the French unit's ORB, only three Morane were airborn at that time: n°995 flown by Captain Jean Assollant, n°993 by Commandant François Leonetti and n°842 by Lieutenant Michel Laurant.

Leonetti and Laurant survived but Jean Assollant did not. He was reported as "MIA". His body was found several month later. And according to the testimony done by the person who found the wreckage, it seems that Assollant was probably killed shot down after a "face to face", the engine of his Morane showing some front hits..

Best regards
Franck
Old 6th December 2019, 12:20

Quote:
Bruce,

As you probably already know, the six claims by 881 are found in Dust Clouds in the Middle East and no probables are mentioned. The only other claim I have found is by Mid.(A) Andrew Cameron Lindsay, RNVR of 881 for an unidentified twin engine aircraft damaged on 6 May 42 at 06:00 [per Sturtivant in Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939 to 1945].

Also from Sturtivant, B Flight of 800 Sqn. destroyed 3 MS.406s and 4 Potez 63s on the ground at Diego Suarez on 5 May.

I have not found any fatalities for 881 on that date or during that period. The only FAA fatalities on 6 May at Madagascar were a crew of an 829 Swordfish [Sturtivant and CWGC website].

Regards,
Tom
The "three Morane and four Potez 6311 " claims maybe come from this logbook

Best regards
Franck
Old 7th December 2019, 20:18

Tom Semenza

Franck,

Thanks for the details. Sturtivant has Lt. J.M. Bruen flying Z4039 on the May 5 strafing but I see that Lt.(A) R.J. Cork's name is at the bottom of the page. Whose log book is this?

Tom
Old 7th December 2019, 21:22

Hello Tom
This page is part of R.J Cork's logbook. I have only the pages dedicated to Madagascar but you can ask the FAA museum to get the entire logbook. But I think the best is to visit FAA museum archives and to do copy by yourself with a camera.
Best regards
Franck
Old 7th December 2019, 21:24

Quote:
Franck,

Thanks for the details. Sturtivant has Lt. J.M. Bruen flying Z4039 on the May 5 strafing but I see that Lt.(A) R.J. Cork's name is at the bottom of the page. Whose log book is this?

Tom
I think Ray was right because it depends at what time.. The Hurricane went two times for straffing at Diego Arrachart...
Best regards
Franck

Last edited by madaroums; 7th December 2019 at 22:16.
Old 8th December 2019, 00:09

Tom Semenza

Thanks again, Franck.
Old 15th December 2019, 06:36

BruceMk11 is on a distinguished road

Thanks also Franck.

Martlets on Illustrious 1942.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1kLdpu9PUI

Martlet serial nos I can make out are: AM992, AM996 and AM968 (or 966).