Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 7th June 2021, 09:58
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Information sort on Fw Helmut Lußky - flier with 3.ZG1

Thanks John

OK, a Bf 110 E it is then.
Since we have to live with a "myriad" of possible clerk errors I am still puzzled about the WNr. Such mistakes are indeed understandable but never-the-less quite irritating (for us that is.... ) I have made quite a few over the years myself, hrmm.....

Don't know how serious research you yourself have made with regard to the Wnr details, but perhaps you or someone else can
a) verify my details about the 80% damage in 1941
b) and perhaps even give a clue of the real two aircraft hiding behind one and the same number.

Cheers
Stig
Old 7th June 2021, 17:14
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

The W. Nr. stays with the airframe, wherever it goes.

80% damaged might mean a lot of components were considered written off by the unit (Wings, engines,) but if enough remained to repair and refit, it would then go out to a front-line unit again with the same W. Nr.. From what I have discovered, very rarely do they go back to the same unit - simply sent to units needing replacements.

So it could have initially have been with a different unit, then damaged, then issued to ZG 1.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 7th June 2021, 18:53
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Thanks again John

That was very interesting. Didn't know that!
It means quite a few aircraft listed in the past in fact could have survived being listed as "destroyed" from 60% and up.

I should try and keep that in mind

Cheers
Stig
Old 7th June 2021, 20:09
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Jarlevik View Post
Thanks again John

That was very interesting. Didn't know that!
It means quite a few aircraft listed in the past in fact could have survived being listed as "destroyed" from 60% and up.

I should try and keep that in mind

Cheers
Stig
Hence why you see some aircraft carrying emblems of two totally different units.

I recall seeing a 109 in the Balkans/Med area (1941) with two completely different unit emblems. I used a photo in one of my books of a Bf 110 E with II./ZG 76, and the rear of the sharksmouth emblem is partially covering an Erprobungsgruppe 210 emblem.

Obviously, the repair facilities were not interested in removing emblems - all they seemed to do was repair the aircraft to front-line status, check the next-in-line unit needing the type, and off it goes!

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!