Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th February 2015, 13:12

Vlkodlak is on a distinguished road
Junkers Ju 188 D 2 from lake Mamry (Mauersee/Schwenzeitsee) in Poland.

Hello,

I’m looking for any information about Ju 188 D-2 which had a forced landing in winter 44/45 on the frozen Mamry (Mauersee) or Święcajty (Schwenzeitsee) in East Prussia (Ostpreussen) near Węgorzewo (Angerburg) -- after 1945 teritory of Poland. The ice broke and the plane sank. Its serial number (werknummer) was 150520.
Supposedly, the plane discussed belonged to 4.(F)/14 (part of 14 Aufkl. Gruppe), which were stationed at the airport in Wormditt (Orneta). See her: http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=32316
Are names and ranks of the crew possible to determine? Where to search for their names? In documents? It’s said three airmen were supposed to die in this crash, but there could’ve been even more people inside. Ju 188 took even 5 airmen according to some sources.
What was the reason of the crash? One version says that it was an engine failure. Second denies -- says that it was an attack of Soviet aircrafts. One of the witnesses, extracting of machine, with whom I talked with him, says, that he saw a few bullet holes. Another man says that he didn't saw any traces of the attack.
I’m very into this case, because the catastrophe took place almost next to my house and I’m writing an article on it. I have 9 pages A4.
I’d be very grateful for help. Any slightest hint would be higly appreciated.
Here added subject about Ju 188 D 2 from Mamry, but but for unknown reasons I can't add post: http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=32316
In 1961 the plane was pulled out of the lake. Unfortunately, it was scrapped. I’m including links to a film and photostory from the event:

http://kinozarogiem.pl/filmy/1083080

http://www.detektorweb.cz/index.4me?...40d874b9912047

I have one little part from this Ju 188. Foundings like that are real gems for me.
Sorry for my not correct English.

Best regards

Piotr

Last edited by Vlkodlak; 2nd March 2015 at 12:17.
Old 2nd March 2015, 12:16

Re: Junkers Ju 188 D 2 from lake Mamry (Mauersee/Schwenzeitsee) in Poland.

I’ve read lots of books on Luftwaffe and Ju188 and I’ve talked to many people. Some of them are divers, who pulled out the plane in 1961. Others were teenagers then who stood on the bank watching the pulling-out action. I, myself, am much younger than the youngest witnesses.
Where should I look for information? In some archives?
Old 6th March 2015, 13:13

Chrille is on a distinguished road

It was a friend of me who salvaged the wreck , and yes it was scrapped . And i have no other info about it ! best C

here is the original MG 131 stl panzer glas! from that plane!
Old 6th March 2015, 18:15

Thanks for reply! I probably also talked to your friend, but i don't saw this part. If can i use picture of this panzer glas in my text? Greetings.

Last edited by Vlkodlak; 6th March 2015 at 18:56.
Old 9th March 2015, 20:35

ssg keay has a little shameless behaviour in the past

What a shame. The Ju188 was a beautiful plane against the Ju88. Did anyone notice the wheels on the tracked vehicle? They look like a PzIII, or PzIV. Danny
Old 10th March 2015, 01:32
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

No shame. These were the times - no doubt an Ju 188 or Ju 388 will be found, eventually, likely there are some relatively intact specimens on the bottom of the North Sea, Baltic, around Britain or Norway, or even in the MED.
But the Ju 188 was the Ju 88 E / F (just renumbered to give name to "new design") developed from the Ju 88 B V, so no real difference. It practically was the same plane. Internally it had much of the same parts as Ju 88, even down to the part numbers.
Old 10th March 2015, 04:56

DaveM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edNorth View Post
No shame. These were the times - no doupt an Ju 188 or Ju 388 will be found, eventually, likely there are some relatively intact specimens on the bottom of the North Sea, Baltic, around Britain or Norway, or even in the MED.
But the Ju 188 was the Ju 88 E / F (just renumbered to give name to "new design") developed from the Ju 88 B V, so no real difference. It practically was the same plane. Internally it had much of the same parts as Ju 88, even down to the part numbers.
Hardly the same as an intact fresh water recovery though is it! The huge shame is it wasn't discovered 30-40 years later than when it was.
Old 10th March 2015, 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg keay View Post
Did anyone notice the wheels on the tracked vehicle? They look like a PzIII, or PzIV. Danny
It's Mazur D 350, artillery prime mover -- polish postwar construction, but 75 % parts were used from T 54 soviet tank.

See her: http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazur_D-350
Old 31st August 2015, 04:52

Peter Mikolajski

There is old thread about this aircraft: http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=3256

Polish Air Force ORB 1940-1947 - offline
Modelarstwo Plastikowe - Polish modellers portal