Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 31st October 2018, 00:52

RodM is on a distinguished road
Researching Luftwaffe Losses through US Army AAA Records

Hi Everyone,

In the course of research, I've encountered some American Anti-Aircraft Artillery (AAA) records online that point to this source being of value in researching Luftwaffe losses. I have not explored archival holdings on the subject and aren't likely too. However, the topic is certainly worth of discussion.

From various original sources I have found that the US Army undertook a process of adjudicating and awarding AAA claims, leading at least some Commands issuing award certificates for awarded claims.

The process of awarding claims and issuing certificates was promulgated in Antiaircraft Bulletin No. 17 dated 21 September 1944. It appears this resulted in Commands having to process a backlog of claims made prior to 21 September 1944. For example, the 461st AAA AW Battalion history indicates that claims made in July 1944 were only awarded in December 1944 and January 1945. Claims made on 1 January 1945 were awarded on 18 February 1945.

The award process was handled by the Antiaircraft Officers at Command level. For example, Army (e.g. First Army) and Corps (e.g. V Corps) level, AA Brigade level for units subordinated to AA Brigades, and IX Air Defence Command for units subordinated to that Command.

It appears multiple certificates were awarded. In the 461st AAA AW Battalion history, the examples shown are a V Corps “secret” version containing full details of the award, and a V Corps or 461st Battalion “unclassified” version simply acknowledging the award without date, E/A type, or location.

I don't know if different Commands issued certificates with the same amount of detail (Antiaircraft Bulletin No. 17 would probably clarify this). I have seen a photo of IX Air Defence Command certificate, and it only lists AAA battery and unit, award type (Cat I, II, or III), E/A type, and time and date of claim. The specific location is deliberately omitted, and given as “somewhere in France”.

What has happened to all the award certificates etc post-war? There had to be thousands of them issued...

The utility of the details of awarded claims comes from the fact that certificates for awarded Category I (destroyed) claims can record the date, time, aircraft type, and location of the claim (usually a crash location).

Here are some examples of awarded Category I claims for the 461st AAA AW Battalion:

17/12/1944
11:45 AM
JU-88
Map Reference K-830190
[50 33 32 N, 06 05 06 E], Belgium.

01/01/1945
08:43 AM
ME-109
Destroyed in vicinity of Bullingen, crashed at Map Reference K-795060
[50 26 29 N, 06 02 23 E] near Malmedy, Belgium.

01/01/1945
09:08 AM
FW-190 D9
Map Reference K-900156
[50 31 47 N, 06 11 05 E], Belgium.

01/01/1945
09:20 AM
ME-109
Engaged in vicinity of Eupen, crashed at Map Reference K-854176
[50 32 49 N, 06 07 09 E] east of Monshau, Germany.

As can be seen, the locations of the crash sites are recorded very precisely in these examples.

As mentioned, I haven't explored what archival holdings may still exist relating the awarded claims. Possibly copies of the Certificates or records of the Antiaircraft Officers (i.e. lists of awarded claims) are archived somewhere... In any event, such records could add greatly to knowledge of specific Luftwaffe losses.

Regards

Rod
Old 31st October 2018, 14:44

Bruce Dennis is on a distinguished road
Re: Researching Luftwaffe Losses through US Army AAA Records

Excellent idea.

Regards,
Bruce