Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 26th June 2018, 22:31

Stormfighter is on a distinguished road
Identification of two II./J.G. 26 Pilots

I recently acquired this photo of two II./J.G. 26 pilots that was taken at the Vitry-en-Artois Airbase in France sometime from February to May 1943. The Leutnant at left may be the Gruppenadjutant (Group Adjutant) of the II./J.G. 26 (IInd Group of Fighter Wing 26). The pilot at right, a Feldwebel or Oberfeldwebel, is highly decorated, and may have just been awarded the Deutsches Kreuz in Gold (German Cross in Gold) when this photo was taken. I wouldn't rule out that he later became a Knight's Cross recipient. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could identify one or both pilots.

Barry
Old 27th June 2018, 09:23
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Identification of two II./J.G. 26 Pilots

Don Caldxwell (who has not been on this board for some time) would know but possibilities could be Ofw Willy Roth or Ofw Wilhelm Philipp, the latter getting the RK in March 1944?

Last edited by Chris Goss; 27th June 2018 at 18:22.
Old 27th June 2018, 18:09

Stormfighter is on a distinguished road
Re: Identification of two II./J.G. 26 Pilots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
DFon Caldxwell (who has not been on this board for some time) would know but possibilities could be Ofw Willy Roth or Ofw Wilhelm Philipp, the latter getting the RK in March 1944?
Thanks Chris. I have no good photo of Roth to compare my photo to and it can't be Phillip because he was transferred to the 3./J.G. 54 in November 1942. I already wrote to Don Caldwell and he was unable to identify the pilots.