Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 7th March 2007, 17:42

Oxby R is on a distinguished road
Question Gun Camera Exposed - has the footage been archived ?

On many combat reports I have been studying recently, (from nightfighter MkXXX Mosquitoes, dated 1944-45) appears the phrase 'gun camera exposed'. Does anyone know whether any of this footage may have been archived, and if so, it's location ? Cheers guys.
Old 7th March 2007, 21:42

David Pausey is on a distinguished road
Re: Gun Camera Exposed - has the footage been archived ?

Hello

Some of the RAF's combat film is at the IWM London, have a look at there web site and do a search. I have seen some of the film from 1940 Battle of France, Battle of Britain, a little from 1941 to 42, 1943 to 45. The film can be very poor to very good, as for Mosquito gun camera film did not find a lot which was good. Will have a look through my notes I made and let you know.

Regards

David
Old 8th March 2007, 18:35

David - thanks for the information. I will take a look at the IWM site, as you suggest. In case you spot something relevant in your notes - I'm interested in locating gun camera footage from 219 (nightfighter) Squadron. More specifically, one of the incidents/combats I'm interested in occurred on 2/3rd October 1944, when W/C Peter Green (219 Sqn, 85 Group, 2nd TAF) flying a MkXXX Mosquito - intercepted and destroyed 3 Ju87's the same night (!) over the Waal bridges at Nijmegen. The (tad lengthy) combat report makes interesting reading, ending with : 'Cine camera : Film being recovered from the aircraft by No. 148 Wing.'

Why the interest ? Well, the old man (now aged 86) occupied the nav/rad's seat. Be a great surprise for him to view the footage of that night - after an interval of 60+ years !
Old 14th March 2007, 21:12

Hi Oxby R

I found some notes I made at the IWM and I only saw day fighter film from 1940 to 1945. There was two film clips from Mosquitos from 29 and 307 Sqns but they were shot in daylight. The IWM had not listed all the Gun Camera films they had when I last visted them so its a case of visting the IWM and looking through there papers. I think its unlikely they have the film you are looking for but I do have details of some of your Dads claims made with W/C Peter Green if are interested just let me know and I will send a Private Message via this forum.

Regards

David
Old 19th March 2007, 20:46

David - apologies for delayed response, pressure of work I'm afraid. I think you are probably correct, in saying its unlikely we'll find relevant footage at the IWM. Ho hum. On the other hand, you never know - so I emailed 'em a week ago, just in case - but no response as yet. I guess they're busy too ?

About your kind offer.. 'but I do have details of some of your Dads claims made with W/C Peter Green if are interested just let me know and I will send a Private Message via this forum.'

Think I probably already have most (if not all, not certain) of Oxby snr's combat reports. That said, I would certainly be most interested in hearing details of new material ? eg sight of ORB from 219 ? Maybe one day, I'll have the time to make a long overdue trip to the PRO at Kew! Kind regards. RO.
Old 20th March 2007, 09:11
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

From the stills I have seen, any camera gun film taken at night is blackness followed by a flash and then blackness!
Old 20th March 2007, 22:57

Brilliantly put, Chris. 'A flash and then blackness !' Probably also describes the experience from the victim's perspective too !!
Old 21st March 2007, 20:49

I meant to say I have some details of the Luftwaffe units and crews W/C Peter Green shot down with your dad. I would like to e-mail them to you if you are interested, I can contact you via a private message from this forum if you like ?

Cheers

David
Old 25th March 2007, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pausey View Post
I have some details of the Luftwaffe units and crews W/C Peter Green shot down with your dad. I would like to e-mail them to you if you are interested
David - Don't know whether you received my email ? Yes, I would be very interested to hear your information, as there are many 'gaps in the story' to be filled - particularly regards names of Luftwaffe crews/units. Look forward to hearing from you again. Best regards, RO.

Last edited by Oxby R; 25th March 2007 at 22:51. Reason: typo