Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13th January 2007, 18:39
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road
Re: Soviet Hurricanes - where, when, ...?

Franek;
I didn't realise that the Yugoslavs had Yak 3s. I had read something about the trials but had assumed it was the Yak 9 that was involved.

Apparently it wasn't a Malcolm hood tried on the Hurricane, my apologies for saying that, but a field conversion. According to the new Mushroom publication on the Hurricane, anyway. Although the author has not quite understood the Sea Hurricane, and has included some nonsense about a mine-exploding ring, so perhaps more careful reading of the rest of the book is called for - it looks pretty good otherwise.

Re the Dutch: I wouldn't be surprised if a Brewster 439 was at least competitive with a tropicalised Hurricane IIb, if not better at lower altitudes. It is not that the Buffalo was a terrible design, just not good enough.

I must admit being interested by these statements about Finnish overclaiming. I was told that the Finns were exceptionally strict about granting confirmation, and even perfectly normal and understandable overclaiming just did not happen. Ah well, it was a Finn that told me that. Perhaps they weren't superhuman after all.