Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 18th September 2015, 02:02
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Photograph of Willi Elstermann

Hi guys

I am wondering if anyone would have a photograph of this individual that they would be willing to share with me. This is intended for private use. I have come across mention of him various times, particularly regarding his service with JGr 152, ZG 52, ZG 2 and JG 6, but I have never seen a photograph of him. He had quite an interesting career so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 23rd September 2015, 14:28

Marcel Hogenhuis will become famous soon enough
Re: Photograph of Willi Elstermann

Hello Leo,

You have a pm

Best regards, Marcel
Old 4th October 2015, 21:17
Alter Hase

Theo Boiten will become famous soon enoughTheo Boiten will become famous soon enough

Dear all,

On the topic of Willi Elstermann -can anybody confirm how many daylight Abschüsse this pilot claimed during WWII, how many of these were made on the Eastern Front, and how many of his daylight claims were confirmed by the OKL/RLM? I have three confirmed kills whilst serving as a Zerstörer pilot with 2./ZG52 and 5./ZG2 (on 10 May, 8 August and 7 September 1940), a confirmed B-17 kill on 13 June 1943 whilst serving in the Nachtjagd, and I have one confirmed, and one unconfirmed, nighttime Abschüsse by Elstermann.

I would also be interesed in a photo of Elstermann; Marcel could you let me know if you have a photo of him?

Cheers and thanks, Theo
Old 5th October 2015, 04:00
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Photograph of Willi Elstermann

Hi guys

I have seen different totals given for this pilot, sometimes seven and sometimes nine. However, so far I have come across the same five that Boiten mentions and nothing more. The only night-time claim that I have for him occurred on 29 April 1942. However, any comments or corrections will be most appreciated!

Horrido!

Leo
Old 5th October 2015, 14:50
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Theo

Johannes Mathews in 'Aces Biographies and victory claims' has located seven 'confirmed' and one unconfirmed victory claim by this ace. Six are taken from his log books and are only assumed as confirmed while his last (the B-17) is located in the microfilms.

Cheers
Stig
Old 5th October 2015, 18:21
Alter Hase

Theo Boiten will become famous soon enoughTheo Boiten will become famous soon enough

Hello Stig,

Cheers and thanks for these details -does Matthews give any particular details about his individual Reichsverteidigung daylight Abschüse, and did Elstermann achieve any claims on the Ostfront?

Cheers, Theo
Old 5th October 2015, 20:44
Alter Hase

Prob nothing new Theo

13.6.43, 6./NJG 3, as Oblt, B-17 6-7 km SW Jaderoog at 10.12H.
No claims against the 'East' listed.

Cheers
Stig
Old 5th October 2015, 21:32
Alter Hase

Thanks a lot Stig for confirming these details -one last question; I have the following nighttime claim for Elstermann on 24-25.9.42, but am not sure if this is a 'falsified' claim from the Nonnenmacher listings (it does not appear in the OKL/RLM confirmed Abschussliste for 6./NJG3..); is this claim in fact listed in Elstermann's Flugbuch?:

Oblt. Willi Elstermann 6./NJG3 Lancaster 8 km. SW Viborg: 1.900 m. 01.22

Cheers, Theo
Old 5th October 2015, 22:33
Alter Hase

Now this is a bit odd Theo

The only claim listed by Johannes on the 24th is the unconfirmed Wellington claim at Gronhoj area 122.

Since I am a bit puzzled what he means with 122, since it does not appear in the time column, it is strange it fits with the 01.22H time stated for your Lancaster claim....

The way Johannes writes his explanations, yes, all the earlier claims listed are taken from his Flugbuch(s). I suggest you send Johannes a PM. He is very helpful

Cheers
Stig
Old 6th October 2015, 22:20
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Photograph of Willi Elstermann

Willi Elstermann has been the subject of my research for a long time. I think I know a lot about him but his Abschüsse are indeed difficult to determine....what is documented in my opinion....

First, a few days before his death he had 7 Abschüsse in 150 Feindflüge, don't think anything was "added" until he was killed on Feb. 2nd 1945. The document does not say if all these Abschüsse were confirmed.

Furthermore I have found no record and no indication at all that he scored any victories in the RVT or in the east. I believe all his victories must have been achieved before the fall of 1943.

His FB only goes until 14.08.1942. The following four are listed in his FB;

10/5/40 Morane
8/8/40 Blenheim
7/9/40 Spitfire
29/4/42 Stirling

The FB does not say if these were confirmed or not.

There is a slight chance that he claimed something on 30/9/39 when he was with 2./JGr 152 but it is unclear.

I do not believe the claim on 24.9.1942 exists.

We have the claim on 13.6.1943 which I consider his 5th claim (until corrected otherwise....)

I believe his 6th and 7th claim are most likely achieved somewhere in the period June 1943 - September 1943.

Hope this helps,

John

Last edited by John Manrho; 6th October 2015 at 22:23. Reason: Adding info and typo