Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation before the Second World War.

Old 9th November 2020, 12:59

Tony Jones
Re: Help civilian register for 2 machines from Halle-Saale

Andriano

D-IKII fate

Photo E-Bay.de 3/36-7/39 BFS 2 Celle 1./NAG 102 15-Nov-1943; Absturz. Bruch 100 %, Pampitz bei Brieg. body,div,table,thead,tbody,tfoot,tr,th,td,p { font-family:"Arial"; font-size:x-small } a.comment-indicator:hover + comment { background:#ffd; position:absolute; display:block; border:1px solid black; padding:0.5em; } a.comment-indicator { background:red; display:inline-block; border:1px solid black; width:0.5em; height:0.5em; } comment { display:none; }
Old 10th November 2020, 09:21
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

TONY and all,

Here the part of the photograph showing the 2 mentioned machines.

Whilst zooming it, I saw that what seemed a "K" at the end, actually are the struts. So, it is definitely D-IKII indeed.

TONY: Thank you very much for kind assistance in matching those machine's fates.

OBS: Since I did not remembered the maximum JPEG size allowed, I saved in very low resolution.

Adriano

Last edited by Adriano Baumgartner; 4th May 2021 at 14:28.
Old 10th November 2020, 12:13

Merlin will become famous soon enoughMerlin will become famous soon enough

The Fw56 WNr. 893 D-IKII was delivered to the Luftwaffe in February 1936. I have it frequently at the school at Celle from 03.36 until 06.39. A few Do11 were also operated by that school.

The funeral service might have been that one for those seven airman killed in a crash near Bad Pyrmont on 22.02.37 when their Ju52 07+B40 hit the ground in bad weather. That‘s the only accident I could find for the FFS(C)Celle in the pre war years with more than two man killed.

Furthermore no Do 11 or Fw 56 were ever operated by the LNS Halle.

Last edited by Merlin; 10th November 2020 at 15:42.
Old 10th November 2020, 15:14

Tony Jones

Andriano

D-IKII crashed 15/11/43 at Pampitz near Brieg 100%

If it was involved in the crash you seek then it was repaired

Tony
Old 10th November 2020, 16:43
Alter Hase

Herr Gerhard Stemmer and Tony,

There are 2 photographs depicting the burial of 6 airmen (coffins). One shot do show on the front and upper side of the Hangar the last words ALLE-1 or ALLE-4 (not so clear) and underneath, Staffel-1 clearly visible, so I assumed it was HALLE-SAALE main Hangar.

Could D-IKII have been transferred to the Luftnarichtenschule after June 1939, before joining BFS 2 at Celle?

I understand that from time to time, Air Force Schools do suffer air accidents, but generally they do kill one or two. To have such a high number of killed on a single day, is not common and felt badly by the unit involved. I sent a message to the Stadt Archive at Halle, to find out if there is one single date for 6 or 7 killed in a single accident at this airfield.

However, as you found, Gerhard Stemmer, it may have been the accident you mentioned, in 1937. Do you happen to have the names of those airmen? Where were they buried?

Tony: The image is clear, D-IKII is close to D-AJYH inside the hangar, during the cerimony of burial of 6 airmen (6 coffins visible) that may have crashed. The Hangar is clearly visible with ALLE-1 or ALLE-4 (HALLE I assume) on one outside photograph. The other photo do show the cerimony inside the Hangar, where the 2 machines are visible.

I shall try to post here the Hangar detail

Adriano
Old 10th November 2020, 16:45
Alter Hase

Tony: I understand that D-IKII was NOT involved in this crash, since it is plainly fit on the photo.
Old 10th November 2020, 16:59
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Adriano

Halle also means just hangar so, if this is your only evidence, the photo is not necessarily taken at the German airfield Halle-Saale.

Cheers
Stig
Old 12th November 2020, 14:51
Alter Hase

Stig and Herr Stemmer,

I indeed did not know that Halle was Hangar in German language...so no positive proof that this was Halle-Saale. (should have continued German classes...dumb of me!)

The evidences and information from Gerhard do probably matches the related incident.

There is another shot from outside the Hangar, probably showing the Flugplatz Kommandeur of this base, so I will try to save both them in low resolution for Saturday and post here...maybe the clue is the C.O. rather the Hangar (HALLE-1) itself....

MY GRATITUDE (and patience with my lack of German and knowledge) for you all.

Adriano
Old 14th November 2020, 13:32
Alter Hase

I just added the 3 related photographs on the other thread about LW pre-war information about crashes and incidents.