Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th July 2015, 11:40

NJG100 is on a distinguished road
Information about my grandfather Erich Zickler

Dear all,
Short Introduktion, my Name is Marcel Klemmer, I am 43 years old. Working as an engineer for Airbus and I am interested in aircraft and modelling.
Back to the topic, my grandfather Erich Zickler was pilot, crewman was Josef Pudlig of Bf 110 for ZG76 over Polen and Norway. Later in NJG1, as trainer and at the end flying for NJG 100 or NJG 101 I guess. I found here two remarks about him. He told me about the battles with the blenheim and about three victories against spitfire. Long Time ago I saw a foto of victories of ZG76 with his name the victories of blenheim and spitfire. Does anybody now something more about this foto or about my grandfather?
Thank you in advance.
Best regards
Marcel
Old 28th July 2015, 23:27
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Information about my grandfather Erich Zickler

Marcel-I have quite a lot of information on I/ZG 76 to August 1940 if you would like to PM me. His Bordfunker was Josef Pudlik by the way-I contacted him many years ago. Assuming he remained with your Grandfather, in Sep 40, they went to 6/NJG 1, then 8/NJG 1 to Apr 42, 7/NJG 1 to Feb 43 then 9/NJG 101, 6/NJG 102 and finally 7/NJG 102. On 6 Jul 40, they were credited with a Blenheim of 254 Sqn at 1050 hrs and a Spitfire east of Blyth at 1358 hrs on 15 Aug 40 (they were badly damaged in combat on this day and landed at Jever, Pudlik being wounded)

Last edited by Chris Goss; 29th July 2015 at 19:23.
Old 29th July 2015, 21:12

NJG100 is on a distinguished road

Hello Chris, thank you for the information. I am very surprised about all your knowledge. It is exited :-) How Do you get all these Information?. Grandpa was not interested to write everything down, he said, that no one will read, he was no star or hero and he do not want back his nightmares! During NJG1 he told me, that his identifier was G9+ER, can you valitate this? never met Josef Pudlik, something happened after the war between them, I don't know. From my grandma, she was Luftwaffenhelferin, I know one story, that both were misst after a combat for more than 4 days and they came back, Josef wounded carried by grandpa. I can not validate the storry.
I must check my packing cases , to find the Flightbook of him and a letter written after the war from Gordon McGollob, he was Staffelkapitän, I think during ZG76 time. Do you know something about the foto with the victories of ZG76?
I have so many questions.
Old 29th July 2015, 21:24
Alter Hase

Hallo. Send me a PM and I will help
Chris
Old 31st July 2015, 21:53
Alter Hase

Theo Boiten will become famous soon enoughTheo Boiten will become famous soon enough

Hello Marcel,

I have some info on your Grandfather of his service in III./NJG101, I believe the right spelling of the name of his Bordfunker was Uffz. Puttlich (at least that's the way his name was spelled in the Kriegstagebuch of the Jagdfliegerführer Süddeutschland).

Please send me a PM and I'll help you in any way I can.

Cheers, Theo
Old 1st August 2015, 00:29
Alter Hase

Theo-definitely Pudlik as I was in contact with him unless he had another BF
Old 29th August 2015, 20:03

Andre Stewart is on a distinguished road

Hello Marcel,

I've some info on the photo of victories you mention. Send me a PM and I'll share more.

rgds
andre
Old 30th August 2015, 09:37
Alter Hase

Johannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura about

Hi Marcel

Your Grandfathers claims with 3./ZG 76 have not survived on the micro films, so anything mentioned we cannot be 100% sure about. With the Nachtgeschwader I can find nothing for him, most units do have entries on the micro films before the daily entry micro film take-over in(usually) late July 1942, but again I can find nothing for him. However with NJG 100 there as several claims on a micro film giving time and date only, he could be one of these claimants. Also with any other unit he doesn't appear on the micro films unless a name I have not been able to identify. Best thing is to search through his logbook. Even here details of claims are often so brief, and there is no guarantee they were confirmed, but a great help to anybody interested, and there are several collectors of logbooks around.
Like your Grandfather Karl Gratz just didn't like to talk about the war. If you think about it in later life it becomes just a small part of there life!

Kind Regards

Johannes

P.S I will search through my losses records(which are incomplete) and see if there is anything on him.
Old 30th August 2015, 10:03
Alter Hase

Erich Zickler never flew with NJG 100 & his only claims were with 3/ZG 76. I have passed all of this on to Marcel who has confirmed his units with a copy of his Wehrpass. His logbook no longer exists according to Marcel-he was mistaken.
Old 30th August 2015, 10:27
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Marcel/Chris,

What claims did he make with 3./ZG76? Do we know his plane code?