Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th August 2015, 14:22

John C is on a distinguished road
Advice and Help Dornier 17Z KG 153 or 155

I am trying to locate a German "Combat Report". Date 12th July 1940, time 15:15 approx. Location, Lyme Regis Bay, flying from Lyme Regis to Portland. I have read three accounts from British sources, with three minor differences in each. One British casulty (Canadian Pilot), Dornier damaged by first attacker. I have found that KG 153 and 155 was the German "Squadrons". It appears that the German plane made it back. I have hit a brick wall, would like help to advance my personel search. British information from National Archives, Kew. Thank you. John
Old 30th August 2015, 16:01
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Advice and Help Dornier 17Z KG 153 or 155

Not sure where you got your information from but KG 153 and KG 155 no longer existed having become KG 77 and KG 3 (KG 153) and KG 55 (KG 155) the previous year. Presume you are asking about the loss of Plt Off D A Hewitt who was lost with 501 Sqn that afternoon. It appears that 501 Sqn intercepted a recce Do 17. However, I can see no combat between the RAF and a Do 17 off Portland but a Ju 88 of II/LG 1 was briefed to attack Portland, taking off from Orleans at 1349 hrs UK time, dropping 4 bombs on land north of Portland and then being intercepted by '4 Spitfires' claiming one shot down and one damaged before they popped back into cloud undamaged
Old 31st August 2015, 11:02

Thank you for your reply. Re KG 153, the information was that the "squadron was 153/5, but changed in September 1940. Thanks for the correction.

You are correct, P/O Hewitt was the pilot. 501 Sq flying Hurricanes. Hewitt was flying P3084, Hurricane Mk 1 with 3 bladed prop. The combat report (AIR 50) at the National Archive, was made by E Holden, Blue wing. Enemy Aircraft dived to sea level, dropped four bombs into sea. Blue 1 (Holden) attacked, then Blue 2 (Hewitt). Possible smoke from Dorniers port engine (Blue 3). In the Sq Operations Record Book, the time given is 15:15. I assume this is the take off time. (Air 27 operational books). Version 1, Hewitt was recued by the Navy (BoB Diary). Version 2, By the Flight, Hewitt went down with the aircraft. Version 3 Plane crashed into sea, pilot floated off and not recovered. Men of the B o B by K G Wynn 2015 page 233 B of B Memorial Trust.
John C
Old 1st September 2015, 13:38
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

John
I have been in discussion with others about this incident. Being a lone Do 17 would indicate a recce unit which used Do 17 P or M, not Do 17 Z. However, Luftflotte 3 (the air fleet operating over Portland and that part of the Channel) makes no reference of Do 17 in combat with RAF fighters only this Ju 88 from II Gruppe/Lehrgeschwader 1 which took off from Orleans Bricy at 1349 hrs to attack Portland Harbour, dropping 4 x SC250 kg bombs NW of Portland on land before being attacked by '4 Spitfires' which it lost in cloud. However, in the brief combat, gunners claimed to have shot down one and possibly another. Apparently Holden's claim for a Do 17 unconfirmed was at 1550 hrs. I can find no other RAF claims or losses that match but the Ju 88 was in the right place at the right time and claimed a fighter shot down; I can see no other RAF losses that would match but as always, stand by to be corrected. BTW, II/LG 1 was formed from III/KG 152 in November 1938

Last edited by Chris Goss; 1st September 2015 at 15:41.
Old 1st September 2015, 18:48

Thank you for asking arround. My interest, is that P/O Hewitt was my dads best friend durring WW2. My dad got shipped out to the Middel East in Oct 1940, for the rest of the war.
501 Sq. was split over three airfieds, because of the cloud comming and going, for a few days at this time. There were 6 Huricane's on a training flight, 3 attacked. As mentioned take off 15:15 and Landed 15:55. For the record. L8891 P/O Done, L8548 F/L Holden, P3082 P/O Sylvestar, P3327 F/S Morfill, P3805 S/L Hogan and P/O Hewitt in P 3084. AIR 27.
I have found the web site, with the correction you mentioned. Holden mentions that the rear gunner was silenced, but mentions "that E/A flew at sea level without apparent damage". I have compared the two airvraft (Do and Ju). I have to study them to tell the difference. Also, on Documeneries, it has been mentioned, the German crews always shot down a Spitfire's and never Hurricane's! Acording to the information you have provided. I have to side with you. If he went over Portland first, he would have turned over Lyme Regis, as Weymouth and Portland docks had Heavy Anti Aircafrt batteries. Also three airfields near by to contened with. Again, thanks Chris, for your help.
Old 2nd September 2015, 19:48

Final Thought,

If you put both reports together. The JU 88 on a bombing/recon mission, of Portland. Because of cloud. Cloud and low visibility made 501 Sq disperse to other airfields. Most of 501 Sq. Had to land at other sq. airfields. Unable to complete the mission on first attempt, swings round to Port. Flies over Lyme Regis and back to Portland for a second go. Intercepted by “Blue”, The the combat report takes over. JU 88 drops his bombs, gets down to sea level Hewitt thinks the rear gunner is disabled, tries to get below the rear of JU 88, either shot or wind turbulence, Hewitt hits the sea. The JU 88 claims a Kill? we will never know. Miss Identification of aircraft on both sides.

Correction L 8891 P/O Done, is not correct. L 8891 is P/O Don, R. S. Sorry.