Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 17th August 2006, 13:38

pointedeflèche is on a distinguished road
Excavated Hurricane, Belgium

Back in 1982, several parts of a Hurricane Mk I ,among which its engine block, were dug up from a field in the Belgian village of Huldenberg. The Hurricane fell probably vertically out of the sky as the engine block was found several feet under the surface. Its pilot most likely crashed to his death as a parachute and human remains were found. Strangely enough only a few human bones were found.

Some identified it as a No. 1 or a No. 73 Squadron Hurricane - I haven’ t got a clue who identified it as such. Its pilot according to the British embassy would have been F/O Robert Lawrie Lorimer (KIA 14th May 1940).

I find this hard to believe as there are sources that indicate, F/O Lorimer was shot down by a Bf 110C of I/ZG26 and crashed south of Sedan (Huldenberg is situated 75 miles north of Sedan).

The unfortunate pilot most likely crashed to his death, May the 14th, 15th or 16th , 1940. Huldenberg was located close to the British Expeditionary Force line, which extended from Leuven (Louvain) to Wavre along the River Dyle. The 14th, 15th and 16th of May 1940 fierce battle broke out along that line. The British Expeditionary Force finally gave up their positions and retreated in the late evening of May 16th.

Does anyone have detailed information as to why it was identified as a No. 1 or a No. 73 Squadron Hurricane and who identified it as such? What about the identity of the pilot, was it actually Lorimer?

Regards,
Dirk
Old 17th August 2006, 16:06

montana is on a distinguished road
Re: Excavated Hurricane, Belgium

Hi Dirk,

I remember well that a team of the Belgian Air Museum excavated a Hurricane at Huldenbeg on Saturday 11th September 1982 and found many pieces (engine, fuselage and wing parts, oleo legs, instrument panel, pilots boot, map,...). I think all these pieces are now in their reserve in Vissenaken. May be it would be interesting to investigate again these pieces now. I don't know why at the time they stated it was F/O Lorimer. It is unlikely because Huldenberg is too far away from Sedan.
May I hazard a conjecture : I think this pilot would be Sgt James L. C. Williams from the 3 Squadron who was shot down by Lt. Müncheberg (III./JG 26) at Overijse. This pilot is still missing and his name is commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.
Old 17th August 2006, 17:22

Montana,

I made that same reflection, but there is one small problem: a British aircraft did come down in the village of Overijse.

According to the mayor of Overijse in a letter dated Feb. 10th ,1953, in answer to a letter of the Belgium Ministry of Defence pertaining to how many aircraft where shot down over the territory of Overijse during the period May 10th - 28th (German invasion of Belgium-Belgian capitulation), one British aircraft fell within the boundaries of Overijse.

Neither the aircraft’s exact crash location, nor the fact whether this pilot survived the crash are known to me.

Regards,
Dirk
Old 17th August 2006, 17:59

montana is on a distinguished road

Hi Dirk,

Yes, I know this investigation made by the Belgian Air Force in the fifties. The answers by the communal entities weren't always very accurate. In this letter it is said that a R.A.F. aircraft crashed on 16th May...
And when you see the area, Huldenberg is very close to Overijse...
Well the question is open. Maybe the answer is in the Hurricane pieces located in Vissenaken in the Air Museum reserve.

Best regards.
Old 21st August 2006, 21:23

Flupke is on a distinguished road

Hello Dirk & Montana

There are two airplanes crashed on the Overijse territory , one the night of the 28/8/1942
Halifax W-7089 78Sqn between Overijse and Tombeek ,
Marshall John Alexander Brock RAAF (KIA) +Tombeek the rest of the crew buried at Adegem
F/Sgt Baittle Horace David RCAF (KIA)R/79439---F/Sgt McKay Daniel Archibald RCAF (KIA)R/73282---F/Sgt Vickers Charles Henry (KIA)1115126---F/Sgt Hiltz Lawrence Donald RCAF (KIA)R/88319

Another in the direct area Overijse / Notre-Dame-Au-Bois the 28/8/1944 a Me-110 , this loss is not sure at all ,it’s a claim of the 353rd FG 352nd FS Lt Bouldin at 19:30

Regards
Phil
Old 22nd August 2006, 13:43

Hello Phil,

During the night of August 28/29,1942, Halifax W7809 of No. 78 Squadron crashed about 1 mile southeast of the church of Tombeek in ‘Petit Bois de Bilande’, a small wood situated on the territory of Wavre. The crew is still buried in the churchyard of Tombeek. Their names are:

DUNN, GEORGE EDWARD Sergeant ( Flt. Engr. ) RAF
MANNING, TERENCE MICHAEL Warrant Officer ( Obs. ) RAF
MARSHALL, JOHN ALEXANDER BROCK Sergeant (pilot) RAAF
MARTIN, JOSEPH POTTON Sergeant ( Obs. ) RAF
MELLOR, JOHN GEORGE Sergeant ( Air Gnr. ) RAF
MILLER, TERRIS HAGGIE Flight Sergeant ( W.Op./Air Gnr. ) RCAF
ROSS, SAMUEL Flight Sergeant ( Air Gnr. ) RCAF

May I ask what source you consulted with regard to the Messerschmitt Bf 110 claimed by Lt Bouldin over Overijse/ Jezus-Eik (Notre-Dame-au-Bois), August 28, 1944? Did this incident take place exactly two years to the day of the Halifax incident?

Cheers,
Dirk
Old 23rd August 2006, 21:23

Flupke is on a distinguished road

oops !! sorry I mistakenly mixed the two crews of the 78th and 75thSqn Sqn loss that day !!

Concerning the loss of the Me-110 despite the fact that the date is the same but in 1944, the 353rd FG claim several Me-110 on approach to Beauvechain , one of them seems happened more close from Brussels , the place (uncertain) was give by an old very regretted friend Who disappeared two years ago , you probably know him Guy Destrebeq , however he was not sure at all of this place . the 3 Me-110 claim by the 353rd FG are confirmed
2X Me-110 at 19:00 area of Wavre for the Capt Ruscitto James Otto 350FS
1XMe-110 for the 2nd Lt Bouldin Frank H. Jr at 19:30 15Mi SE of Brussels 352nd FS
Regards
Phil