Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 24th August 2010, 19:42

wwrsimon is on a distinguished road
341 Sqn Spitfire NL-H serial?

Hi

I wonder if anyone can tie a serial number to Spitfire IX NL-H of 341 Sqn, flown by Christian Martell on Ramrod 73 on May 14th 1943.

A bit of along shot perhaps, but you never know...!

Many thanks

Simon
Old 28th August 2010, 21:47

Bertrand H is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 341 Sqn Spitfire NL-H serial?

Hi Simon,

Where do you learn that it is the NL-H ? Form 541 for n°341 for the most of year 1943 do not hold any serial or individual letter....

Bertrand
Old 1st September 2010, 21:14

Hello Bertrand

Apologies for not replying sooner.

On the combat report filled in by Martell on that date, it states "Spitfire IX H" - I'm guessing the H is the aircraft's individual letter?

I'll get
Old 1st September 2010, 23:26

Bertrand H is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Simon,

I have the french translation of this combat report and it is written Spitfire IX A. Could your "H" is a deformed A ?

Must to be check !

Bertrand
Old 2nd September 2010, 00:42

Hello again Bertrand

No, it's definitely an H. Perhaps your A is a deformed H!

The form I have is a 'Personal Combat Report', or Form 'F'. The information has been added using a typewriter, and it's a good photocopy, so it's clearly legible. Under the heading 'Type and mark of our aircraft', the entry is 'Spitfire IX H'.

I'm of course guessing the H doesn't refer to the type or mark of Spitfire?

Best regards

Simon
Old 8th September 2010, 10:17

Many Souffan is on a distinguished road

Hello.

I can confirm from an original combat report it is indeed H as it is written in personal combat report that you can find at Kew (Air 50/407)

But in the Log book of Martell at the date of 14 may 1943 Martell made a test flight and a mission who he claimed a Fw 190 on.... NL-C

In the other side in my different discussions with Pierre Clostermann between 1998 and dec 2005, he told me that he flew in may 43 on NL-B, NL-A and NL-C specially the 11 may during the Circus 295 leaded by J E Johnson at the return he made a not good (he said a special) landing.

After that Martell was not happy and asked to him to make, the same day, 2 flights of aerobatics on Spit Mk V that he did and to give him 5 days for leave. Clostermann stayed in the base.

During these 5 days he made some local flights and finished 1 or 2 articles for Flight magazine on the grass of the dispersal that he told me

He remembered also during these five days off ,the test of his plane (NL-C) with Martell, and the same day the return of Martell with the first victory 341 Sqn. Alsace. Clostermann told me that he was so happy that he wrote a wrong date in his log book: " le 13 le cap. Martell obtient la première victoire du squadron"

With this victory Martell keep as his personal kite the NL-C ( during May, June and little July) and Clostermann a new NL-B. (not BS538 the first one, ex 340 Sqn./GW.K damaged the 5 may 1943 by Pierre Laurent)

To answer about the serial of the kite of Martell for this 14 may 1943, I don't know.

thank you

(33) 661 406 013

many.souffan@gmail.com
Old 8th September 2010, 11:21

Thanks for the reply Many. Was NL-C the Spitfire Vb AA846? I can't figure why NL-H was entered in the combat report - maybe simply just a typing error?

There don't seem to be many photos of 341 Sqn Spitfires around. I'd have thought they'd be a good subject for the newsreels and newspapers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Many Souffan View Post

...But in the Log book of Martell...
You make a reference to Martell's logbook - does that mean it still exists? I'd be very interested in getting some more information from it if it does.

Best regards

Simon
Old 8th September 2010, 13:11

Hello Simon.

The Log Book exist of course but it is in private hands, I can't say any more.

The almost personal code of his all Spitfire was C for Christian (Martell)

For AA846 it is a NL-C, he claimed damaged on 30 dec 1943 2 Fw 190 but unfortunatly it was a Mk V.

it is only a idea but he flew one NL-C till mid july 43 a Mk IXa and after a Mk IXb EN??? I repeat only an idea...

Thank you.

(33) 661 406 013

many.souffan@gmail.com
Old 8th September 2010, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Many Souffan View Post
Hello Simon.

The Log Book exist of course but it is in private hands, I can't say any more.

The almost personal code of his all Spitfire was C for Christian (Martell)

For AA846 it is a NL-C, he claimed damaged on 30 dec 1943 2 Fw 190 but unfortunatly it was a Mk V.

it is only a idea but he flew one NL-C till mid july 43 a Mk IXa and after a Mk IXb EN??? I repeat only an idea...

Thank you.
Thank you for the extra info Many.

That's a shame about the log book, but I guess so many are in private hands today it's not too surprising. I thought it may have been in 'official' hands.

I suppose it's a good idea that his aircraft carried the code letter C (I wondered if he perhaps used L for his real name of Lucien Montet). But as his Spitfire IX MH388 at 80 OTU was coded CM, it's quite a good bet as they say.

Regards

Simon
Old 8th September 2010, 17:39

Hello Simon

It is not a shame when a document is in good hands and it is the case for this document.

It not a shame when the owner of this document accept to show it to an historian, because he knows, he will use the infos for a future publication.

But it is a shame when you know someone who has an info only one, that you need, about a pilot and you have all documents (Copies of log books, of his diaries, photographs of his medals, scans of all photographs and copies of official documents) about this pilot. It is a great shame when he use this info as a power... But it is another story....

To come back to the code letter, Lucien Montet can't use his French name, because during the first attempt of Escape he was arrested by Spanish and given to Vichy authorities. Too dangerous for him...

In fact there no rules about the choice of the personal code letter. Naturally it depends of the Flight. it is often a choice against the superstition or like a Talisman.

Only one exemple: For the Cdt Mouchotte, it was always the L because he began in 340 sqn. with this letter. When he was S/L in 341 Sqn he kept this letter.
For one he said it was L for Liberty, for another one he said the L is the letter of the middle of the alphabet and as it I must be in the middle of my pilots. In a letter sent to his mother, he has written he was happy to fly in own kite, he feel protected....

I can ask you Simon why do you look for this info?

Thank you.

(33) 661 406 013

many.souffan@gmail.com