Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 9th July 2023, 08:00

oquaig is on a distinguished road
When did II.III./KG 77 leave Dunaberg/Daugavpils and where did they go next ?

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping someone could tell me about II and III groups KG 77 based at Dunaberg/Daugavpils from 21 July 1941. It is vague when they moved on to other airfields. The question is exactly when did they leave and where did they go next ?

Thanks in advance
oquaig
Old 9th July 2023, 11:45
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: When did II.III./KG 77 leave Dunaberg/Daugavpils and where did they go next ?

I have I Gruppe Kedainiai 28 June to 5 July then Duenaburg-Tilit to 27 July. II Gruppe Kowno 30 June to 2 July and then Duenaburg-Tilit until 26 July. III Gruppe was with I Gruppe at Kedainiai and the Duenaburg 6 to 30 July. However as you must appreciate things were very fluid at this time
Old 9th July 2023, 13:02

JoMe is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: When did II.III./KG 77 leave Dunaberg/Daugavpils and where did they go next ?

Hi oquaig

According to FB Siegfried and FB Ringstab, II./KG 77 was in Dünaburg/LV from July 12-28, 1941 and then in Dno/SU. The earliest date in Dno/SU was Aug. 06, 1941.
I have no proof for the period from July 28, 1941 to August 6, 1941.

According to FB Werner and FB Kinzinger, III./KG 77 was in Dünaburg/LV from July 8th to 30th, 1941 and in Dno/SU from July 30th, 1941.

best wishes
JoMe
Old 10th July 2023, 01:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
I have I Gruppe Kedainiai 28 June to 5 July then Duenaburg-Tilit to 27 July. II Gruppe Kowno 30 June to 2 July and then Duenaburg-Tilit until 26 July. III Gruppe was with I Gruppe at Kedainiai and the Duenaburg 6 to 30 July. However as you must appreciate things were very fluid at this time
May I ask what your source is for this?

Duenaberg-Tilit ? Is that Dünaburg - Tilsit ? Only 300 km apart. I am aware that II./KG 77 was in Tilsit 12 to 15 July, was I./KG 77 there as well ? Any reason why ? Did III./KG 77 go to Dno at all or did it go directly to Neuhausen ?

Any help here very much appreciated
oquaig
Old 10th July 2023, 07:45
Alter Hase

Came from the then KG 77 Association. It says Tilit not Tilset and yes I./KG 77 was there before going to Porchow. III Gruppe was Dno and then Neuhausen apparently for conversion to Ju 88A-4

Last edited by Chris Goss; 10th July 2023 at 10:44.
Old 11th July 2023, 03:01

Quote:
Came from the then KG 77 Association. It says Tilit not Tilset and yes I./KG 77 was there before going to Porchow.

Thanks for that, but strange yours is the first mention I have of I./KG 77 being in Porchow. Can you fill me in on the dates they were there ?

Quote:
III Gruppe was Dno and then Neuhausen apparently for conversion to Ju 88A-4
This is in large part what I was trying to figure out. If III./KG 77 went to Dno first (and handed its aircraft over to I. and II. groups) before going to Neuhausen...so it was very much like what KG 53 did around the same time. All three groups flew to Orsha Sud then II./KG 53 handed its aircraft over to I. and III groups then went home to reequip.

I am still trying to pin down when III./KG 77 left for Neuhausen. I am assuming no later than 6.8.41 (even KG 4 transferred to Korovoi Selo on 6.8.41) because I. and VIII. Fliegerkorps were planning to open their air offensive in support of Army Group North's advance on Leningrad on 8.8.41 but was delayed to 10.8.41 because of heavy rains...KG 4 transferred to Korovoi Selo on 6.8.41.

Thanks again for all the feed back
oquaig
Old 11th July 2023, 10:11
Alter Hase

Porchow 27 Jul to 1 Aug 41.
Old 12th July 2023, 00:59

Thanks Chris,

Another interesting piece of the puzzle.

Best wishes

oquaig
Old 12th July 2023, 03:34

Quote:
Came from the then KG 77 Association. It says Tilit not Tilset and yes I./KG 77 was there before going to Porchow.
After my second cup of coffee I realize that you said I./KG 77 was also at Tilsit ? Do you know the dates for that visit ?

oquaig
Old 12th July 2023, 07:39
Alter Hase

See post #2? A Leistungsbuch I have for a pilot from Stab I./KG 77 has him flying ops from Dünaburg8-20 Jul 41 and the first op from Porchow 27 Jul 41

Last edited by Chris Goss; 12th July 2023 at 10:44.