Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 7th May 2005, 05:24

John P Cooper
Post Luftwaffe combat claims

Being new to this forum and new to this topic I would like to gain a better understanding of the combat claims process. I am not sure if this is covered in any book but I would like to know more about the step by step process from the forms used to the verification process.

Any information would be greatly appreciated ~ thanks for your time.

Cheers

John
Old 7th May 2005, 18:27

Dick Powers
The process...

Although I don’t have any source which detail the process, I believe the process was:

After combat the pilot wrote a report, including an “Abschussmeldung” (Shoot-down report). This was a preprinted form which had spaces for date, time location, aircraft shot down, fate of crew, time and height of attack, victim identity, witnesses, and other relevant information. This form, along with a short report, witnesses statement and commanding officer’s endorsement was submitted up the chain to the RLM. Eventually the claim was confirmed or denied. The entire confirmation process could take months.

I have an original victory claim from NJG1 for Johannes Hager for the night of February14, 1943. It includes

The “Abschussmeldung” (including red pen notations from the RLM and hand marking that the victory was confirmed as the 181st (?) staffel victory.

Statement by Hager, pilot

Statement by Uffz. Lada, his observer

Statement by independent witness

Endorsement by Franz Buschmann, Staffelkapitan

Endorsement by Walter Ehle, Gruppenkommandeur

Here’s the rub: after fall of 1944 (October –November), the whole process fell apart. There were no more “confirmed” victories.

I’d be interested in corrections or additions to this process as I understand it.
Old 9th May 2005, 15:21

Jan Bobek
Re: Luftwaffe combat claims

Yes,

I would add that finally the unit and pilot received final statement about result of victory evaluation.

At the beginning of the war (Sept. 39) this process took cca 3 months. Later in the war 6 months were usual, but also 1 year period was no exception.

Pilot´s logbook and its notes about victories is good indication that something has happened. But it is the CONFIRMATION document from RLM that proofs status of the claim.

cheers

Jan
Old 9th May 2005, 16:47

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P Cooper
Being new to this forum and new to this topic I would like to gain a better understanding of the combat claims process. I am not sure if this is covered in any book but I would like to know more about the step by step process from the forms used to the verification process.

Any information would be greatly appreciated ~ thanks for your time.

Cheers

John

Hi,

The Luftwaffe victory claims system is described in the book by Morten Jessen and myself, Focke-Wulf FW 190 in North Africa, on pages 67-69. We found a source in the Bundesarchiv that gave the exact process for claiming an aerial victory. We have translated and included part of this document in the book as well.

In our next book we plan to outline the Luftwaffe claims process for attacks on enemy shipping, again with references to original German documents.

Cheers,
Andrew Arthy

"You'll never silence the voice of the voiceless" - Rage Against The Machine
Old 10th May 2005, 07:38

John P Cooper
Thumbs up Re: Luftwaffe combat claims

Thanks Dick, Jan, Andrew for your replies!

@ Dick - would it be possible to see a scan of the document? BTW I grew up in S.F. I live just over the county line now in D.C. "a small world!

@ Andrew - humm now another book to add to the wish list can you provide me additional details on the new book you posted about?

Thanks again all - feel free to PM me off board if that is best for you.

John
Old 10th May 2005, 12:00

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P Cooper
Thanks Dick, Jan, Andrew for your replies!

@ Dick - would it be possible to see a scan of the document? BTW I grew up in S.F. I live just over the county line now in D.C. "a small world!

@ Andrew - humm now another book to add to the wish list can you provide me additional details on the new book you posted about?

Thanks again all - feel free to PM me off board if that is best for you.

John
Hi John,

Regarding the book by Morten Jessen and myself, please check the following link to Amazon.co.uk for details: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...409752-8301412

The book was released last year by Classic Publications/Ian Allan in the United Kingdom. It should now be available in the US.

Cheers,
Andrew A.

"You'll never silence the voice of the voiceless" - Rage Against The Machine