Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines > Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1934 bis 1945

Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1934 bis 1945 by Jochen Prien, Gerhard Stemmer, Peter Rodeike & Winfried Bock
incl. other work by Dr. Prien and his colleagues

Old 1st September 2006, 16:53

Redwulf__1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Jagdfliegerverbände Vol. 9 / III

Hi Jochen

thanks for the great news. Maybe a dumb question, but are there nay listings of JV 44 losses ( exept Galland ). Or maybe some evidence of Jv 44 Platzschutz losses?
Old 1st September 2006, 20:28

Del Davis is on a distinguished road

Redwulf
JV-44 was not formed until 1945 . The series is currently dealing with 1942 and volume 10 will begin coverage of 1943. I am afraid you will have to wait with the rest of us for Herr Prien to get to 1945. And we all hope that he persists until he does reach those times. In the meantime you may wish to consult the Jv44 book written by Robert Forsyth
Old 12th September 2006, 22:25
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochen Prien
at long last struve druck have informed me, that delivery of Vol. 9/III has now commenced. Being only the author I have yet to get my complimentary copies and therefore cannot comment on the ultimate result of this venture but I trust that struve druck did their job as properly as the proofs promised they would.
Got my copy from Struve today.

It's big, its heavy and on first glance it certainly does deliver.

This single volume is packed with JG 5, JG 54 & JG 77 photographs, it will be a joy for any paintscheme enthusiast! It will be difficult to find any single reference with such a concentration of the famous Eastern Front "greens".

Included are two high quality Planquadrat maps (size A2), showing all principle Jagfwaffe airfields and unit movements on the Eastern Front.
Liegeplätze der Jagdverbände an der Ostfront zwischen 5-12-1941 und 27-6-1942
&
Liegeplätze der Jagdverbände an der Ostfront zwischen 27-6-1942 und 3-2-1943
These are similar to the maps provided in 6/II and 8/I.

More to follow once I dig in, that's a promise!

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 28th September 2006, 01:26

George Hopp

My goodness, Jochen, you are a living dynamo! Congratulations on all the material you have supplied to date, and my very best wishes on your future efforts.
Old 1st October 2006, 23:42

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road

Dear George,

thank you for the flowers, but I still know about the limitations of our efforts. So much more could be done if we only had more time to pick up all the leads that still await to be discovered. It is an ongoing operation and a second edition would already see quite a lot of additions and also some more corrections. However, there may be hope - it looks as though a potent publisher is contemplating the possibility of an up-dated and augmented English version in the foreseeable future. Still, as of now nothing has been signed and sealed.

Talking about correctons - here is one I feel that must be made public right away as I feel it concerns a silly mistake I made in Vol 9 / III: The photo on top of page 318 - # 335 - does not show the tally on Anton Hackl's "black 5", but the victory tally of Oblt. Heinrich Setz, Kapitän of 4./JG 77, whose first two claims were made against British opponents, whereas Hackl claimed four victories in the West before coming to Russia as can be seen on photos 287 and 288 on page 272. Obviously on the occasion when these PK-photos were made, the Hungarian officers were shown around on the airfield with the aircraft of all the Gruppe's "Experten" being presented.

Work on Vol. 10 / I is progressing steadily; the publisher has voiced his opinion that it would be neccessary to limit the number of pages per volume to 500 at most which might lead to Vol 10 becoming a four-volume set. We'll see.

Regards

Jochen Prien
Old 1st October 2006, 23:46
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochen Prien
Dear George,

Work on Vol. 10 / I is progressing steadily; the publisher has voiced his opinion that it would be neccessary to limit the number of pages per volume to 500 at most which might lead to Vol 10 becoming a four-volume set. We'll see.
Whatever it takes, Herr Doktor !!!