Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 21st April 2010, 01:44

nickle is on a distinguished road
Groundcrew pulling Billy Fiske from burning a/c, 16/08/40, RAF Tangmere.

16th August 1940, RAF Tangmere was bombed. Billy Fiske got his a/c down, but it burst into flames. Two groundcrew pulled him out, Cpl G W Jones and A/C2 C G Faulkner. Both were awarded the Military Medal. Checking CWGC, I can't see them as listed, so I presume they survived the war.

Can anyone tell me anything about them, what their first names are or even how I might find them, if indeed they're still with us?

Many thanks,

Nick
Old 21st April 2010, 04:01

dp_burke is on a distinguished road
Re: Groundcrew pulling Billy Fiske from burning a/c, 16/08/40, RAF Tangmere.

The two airmens awards are published in Flight Magazine dated November 21, 1940.

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...earch=faulkner

MILITARY MEDAL.
CPL. O. W. JONES and A/C.2 C. G. FAULKNER.
—During a heavy attack on an aerodrome a burning British fighter aircraft landed. Despite heavy bombs which were falling and enemy machine gunning, Cpl. Jones and A/C.2 Faulkner took their ambulance across to the burning aircraft, assisted the pilot from it, extinguished his burning clothing and rendered first-aid treatment. Both airmen displayed calm courage and devotion to duty.

Using this information, its possible then to find the citation in the London Gazette dated November 5th 1940.

Awarded the Military Medal.
351192 Corporal George William JONES.
900203 Aircraftman 2nd Class Cyril Geoffrey FAULKNER.
Old 21st April 2010, 04:12

dp_burke is on a distinguished road

Faulkner was commishioned in 1943 in the:

ROYAL AIR FORCE REGIMENT.
To be Plt. Offs. on prob. , (emergency). 23rd Jan. 1943: —
Cpls.
900203 Cyril Geoffrey FAULKNER (137759)-

And in 1944:

Transfer between branches.
The undermtd. to the Admin, and Spec. Duties Br.: —
Flg. Offs.: —
C. G. FAULKENER, M.M. (137759). 27th Jan. 1944.

There may be other entries.
Old 21st April 2010, 04:55

Smithy is on a distinguished road

Nickle, get hold of Andy Saunders' article on Billy from the Feb 2004 issue of Aeroplane. He tracked down Cyril Faulkner for the article and interviewed him regarding the incident.
Old 21st April 2010, 10:37

gedburke3 is on a distinguished road

Nick,
I met Geoff Faulkner a few years ago in 2003/4.
He was fit and well then although I have had no contact since then. I do have some pictures that I took at that time that I will try and dig out and mail to you.
I spoke to him at length re the Billy Fiske incident, as he recalled it all very clearly. I recall that he told me that Jones died some years ago.
The Tangmere Station Doctor, Courtney Willey died a year or so ago but also received an honour for his actions on the date of the bombing of Tangmere on August 16th.
gerry
Old 21st April 2010, 11:27

gedburke3 is on a distinguished road

Nick,
I found the photos attached in a file. They show Geoff Faulkner in May 1941 after the award of the MM. Other images show him at home in 2003/4. He is standing next to a picture of the August 16th incident. He said that this picture by John Howard Worsley was the most accurate depiction of that days events he had ever seen.
I have also attached a copy of their recommendations which I hope you will find useful.
If you are interested I have some items relating to Courtney Willey that I could also let you have copies of.
Gerry

Last edited by gedburke3; 21st August 2020 at 13:14.
Old 21st April 2010, 21:35

timothy is on a distinguished road

We were there to protect Tangers that day - fat lot of good!!

= Tim
Old 21st April 2010, 23:04

Thankyou all for your help. Andy, I know you haven't replied, but no surprise AT ALL to see your name mentioned there by Smithy! I'll have to see if I can get a copy of that magazine. Gedburke3, might it be possible for me to contact you, personal mail here or e-mail...?

Thanks again,

Nick
Old 22nd April 2010, 01:19
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road

Nick

The article contains as comprehensive account as I was able to assemble, using the testimony of Faulkner and Willey. The latter was awarded the MC for his actions that day. If you cannot get a copy of the article I may have it somewhere.

Am sorry have not been able to continue our telephone conversation. Life is rather hectic at present and I am desperately busy until at least 18 May. After then I will be pleased to help you further if I can. However, digging out all the things you have asked me for will be quite an undertaking - but I will do what I can!
Old 22nd April 2010, 03:45

Andy

My shifts aren't making it easy to call either. I'll stop pestering you until next month then. No rush, I've got plenty more to be getting on with. Except, I know for sure, by now at least, that if I ask a question here, about virtually ANYTHING, your name will crop up!

I'm after Faulkner and Jones's story about Fiske's a/c coming down, as all I can find on the net is a tiny snippet of why they won their medals. Getting some actual testimony from them would really help.

And good luck with your Pewit venture next month. You've set me a bunch of rewriting and a whole lot more reading!

Nick