Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 19th January 2012, 14:42

Julian is on a distinguished road
Blenheim R3731 No 82 Squadron

Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone could help me (once again) for a chapter in a forthcoming book to be published Im researching.
"On June 27, 1940 No.82 Squadron took part in a mission to bomb targets in Germany. Around 16.15 hours their aircraft appeared over Soesterberg airfield. Immediately, the fighters of No.3 staffel/Jagdgeschwader 21 took off to intercept the intruders. During the ensuing dogfight 26-year old Oberleutnant Georg Schneider shot down Blenheim R3731. It was his seventh and final victory. The Blenheim crashed in the wooded area at Woudenbergseweg in Austerlitz. Two of the three man crew unfortunately lost their lives: 21-year-old Pilot Officer Ralph Percy (pilot) and the 22-year old Sergeant Andrew Clark (gunner). Both are buried in the cemetery at Woudenbergseweg in Zeist, not far from where they were killed. Only the observer, Sergeant Stanley, had time to leave the aircraft and became a prisoner. In the meantime, Sergeant Andrew Clark strafed one of the opponents, bringing down the aircraft of Oberleutnant Schneider. The German fighter crashed near Zeist killing Schneider who was buried the next day with military honours at the Grebbeberg. He now rests in the German war cemetery in Ysselsteyn, Limburg.

Sergeant Stanley was lucky. Lumberjacks saw his plane a few hundred meters above the ground and watched as he parachuted, slightly wounded, to the ground. They hid the British airman in a nearby shack. Meanwhile, German soldiers searched the area and the forest workers, who saw them, advised Sgt. Stanley to hide in the woods. Two of the workers went with Sergeant Stanley to Austerlitz, hoping not to encounter the Germans. Meanwhile, some of the other workers hid his flying clothing. One of the lumberjacks took Stanley to his home and dressed him, he then helped the Englishman on his way to Utrecht. Stanley was eventually captured. He survived the war in a German POW camp. The six Dutch citizens who had helped Stanley, were soon arrested by the Germans. On the 25th July 1940 their case was heard at the Deutsche Kriegsmarine Court in Utrecht. After a session of more than six hours the death penalty was called for. But the court president was working for the Dutch and sentanced the prime suspect to three years in prison, despite the fact that the Germans demanded 10 years. Four others were each given two years imprisonment, and one was acquitted for lack of evidence." The crash site of the Blenheim has been investigated and some very interesting finds located. That of the Me 109 is still under locational research
I would very much like to hear from anyone in contact with any relatives of the crew from this Blenheim. Or anyone who may have group or individual photographs of the crew or their specific aeroplane. As in all cases assistance will always be credited by name (unless requested otherwise) in the publication.
Many thanks Julian
Old 19th January 2012, 17:36
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Blenheim R3731 No 82 Squadron

Link with my response on the other site. I have 2 letter from Arthur Stanley dated 1991 and his memory was not 100% then (and the letters were dictated to his wife) and I am not sure if he is still around 21 years later. He has no photos or logbook so contactint the family (if they are still around) would not be a worthwhile exercise
Old 19th January 2012, 17:42
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

I have the crash site as Woudensberseweg 54, Zeist for the Blenheim and 5 kms SW Flugplatz Soestersberg for the 109. Stanley was surprised that the 109 was shot down as the gunner was killed by the first burst. I have Schneider as being buried initially at Friedhof Soesterberg. Stanley also says he got his clothes initially off a scarecrow
Old 19th January 2012, 18:41
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

According to Ross Neil Schneider crashed south of Soesterberg at the same time as the Blenheim IV L9447 of 235 Sqn, at 1635 hrs.

As Chris said (here or on the Axis forum), he has linked Schneider loss with 235 Sqn too.