Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 7th March 2018, 23:20

Dan O'Connell will become famous soon enough
Re: Me 262 identification and unusual features

Wonderful to see a "new" photo of 262's!
Old 8th March 2018, 04:48

David E. Brown will become famous soon enough

Gents,

Regarding the aircraft in the image:

9K+KL / 110590: Certainly a KG 51 aircraft as they most commonly painted the fourth letter of their aircrafts’ v-kenn. in 20 cm high letters. KG(J) 54’s machines had the last two letters the same size and larger (~60 cm high). I agree that if the last letter was “L”, then the “K” would be yellow (3. Staffel). Presumably 5.KG 51 was accurately reporting this aircraft’s identity “KL”. It could have been an aircraft that was being transferred to the unit, coming in for repairs, in transit, etc. Also, the camouflage scheme fits well with other machines in the 1105xx and lower 1106xx series (lots of KG(J) 54 examples).

Uncoded. I agree this is likely a KG 51 aircraft too, but sadly no code was applied. Its base camouflage pattern is similar to the similarly uncoded aircraft WNr.110506, captured by Canadian troops at Deipolz or Nordholz, Germany in a dismantled state. Its base colour was very light, interpreted as RLM 76, with a thick meandering mottle of a dark colour, probably RLM 81. The scheme on the wings was applied in a much denser manner and in tight, small, individual swirls. The aircraft above appears to have a base coat of RLM 82 and irregular, widely spaced and unconnected wavy lines of RLM 81. However, what is really interesting is the application of RLM 76 is tadpole-shaped blobs over the entire fuselage surface, somewhat Picasso-esque. The wing looks to be RLM 82 and segmented patches of RLM 76.

Cheers,

David
Old 8th March 2018, 05:23

JonOlsen88 is on a distinguished road

Thank you David and everyone for your comments! Just for clarification, to which aircraft does the fascinating description in quotes refer? I'm not sure which is the "aircraft above." Is there another photo that shows this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Brown View Post
Gents,

The aircraft above appears to have a base coat of RLM 82 and irregular, widely spaced and unconnected wavy lines of RLM 81. However, what is really interesting is the application of RLM 76 is tadpole-shaped blobs over the entire fuselage surface, somewhat Picasso-esque. The wing looks to be RLM 82 and segmented patches of RLM 76.

Cheers,

David
Old 8th March 2018, 14:24

masmar is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

I got some information which might be linked to the discussed topic.
in April 1945 the "Flugerprobungsstelle" (Flight test site) in Gütersloh was evacuated and moved to Cham which is about 40 km from Vilseck.
Before that, in December 44 they ordered some Me 262 for further evalutions with the device 8-344 "Ruhrstahl X-4". Three Me 262 (Werk-Nr. *271, (500)248 and (500)259, only the last three digits given) were recieved between 19th and 25th of march.
One reason why I'm thinking both stories maybe linked is a post-war handwritten entry on one of the acceptance confimations for Werk-Nr. 248.
Unfortunately it's really hard to read. Maybe some of you have a clue what was written there. "Loading Slips ??? VILSECK A/? FROM ??? ??? fuselages ???...

Beside the Me 262 the following aircraft were evacuated to Cham.
FW 190 181651, FW 190 D-9 210034, Me 109 K-4 330454.
It's evident that those aircraft actually reached Cham airfield, but never the 262s. (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showth...appach&page=11 Post#104)

I'm speculating that the Me262s were brought to Vilseck since Cham wasn't able to handle that type of aircraft. One of those Me 262 is shown in the photo above. The bulge above the camera port has something to do with thesting the devices "dogge" and "puddel" on the Ruhrstahl X-4.
A feasable interpretation or complete nonsense?

Best regards

Matthias

Attachment 16333

Attachment 16334
Old 8th March 2018, 15:26
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road

Hi Matthias,

Thank you for sharing this highly interesting information. I've never seen such Abnahme-Karten before for the Me 262.

I think I can decipher a bit more:

LOADING SLIPS
FROM VILSECK A/B [for Air Base or possibly also A/D for Air Drome]
FROM ???
CENTRAL FUSELAGES
???

So, did I understand it correctly that also FW 190 181651, FW 190 D-9 210034, Me 109 K-4 330454 were with the Flugerprobungsstelle Gütersloh? Do you know for what purpose?

I couldn't find the bulge above the camera port you mentioned. The two fuselages don't have any camera ports as they are fighter bomber versions. Or were you not referring to the Me 262 fuselages?

Best regards,

Roger

Old 8th March 2018, 16:59

masmar is on a distinguished road

Hi Roger,

Thanks for adding some more words to the hyroglyphs!

as mentioned in the first post, the tip of the nose cone of the Me 262 in the foreground seem to have a special shape right above the opening for the combat camera. "There also seems to be a small rectangular port (or something) above the nose camera port". I would say it looks like a small bulge. But I'm really not sure about that, could be imagination.

Sure, the FW190s were used for tests with a new "Zech-Wolf"-Propeller ??? . The K4 was used for VDM blade testing. Not described in more detail.
Old 8th March 2018, 17:42

Karl

LOADING SLIPS
FROM VILSECK A/B
FROM ?apparently?
CENTRAL FUSELAGES

Regards, Karl
Old 8th March 2018, 20:51

Gents,

This is a fascinating discussion on a very strange-looking Me 262. I long thought the lighter-coloured aircraft could be 9K+we.LH of 1./KG 51 based on its unit markings style, and assumed the “L” was white. I interpreted the washed-out letter “K” for 9K+KL as yellow, and so the lighter “L” as white. Presuming that Nick’s Ultra document is accurate, one must conclude the machine is 9K+ge.LL of 3./KG 51. But what Werknummer?

Going over the above information from Nick and Matthias, there exist possible matches of the last three digits with known production series Werknummer groups and their ranges (110xxx, 111xxx, 112xxx, 113xxx, 130xxx, 170xxx, 500xxx and 501xxx) as published in Dan O’Connell’s Classic publication:

WNr.??? 248
  • 500248 was assembled at Mtt. Regensburg-Obertraubling but nothing is known of it after that. Most probably this is the werknummer number of one of the three machines, with the camouflage and markings pattern of 9K+KL matching that of photos of closely produced aircraft.

WNr.??? 259
  • 500259 is identified as a Me 262 A-1a converted to a U3 variant in early March 1945 at Eger. It was delivered to 1./NAG 6 at Lechfeld and shot down on April 5, 1945. Could Matthias’ and Dan’s information be drawn from documents with transcription errors?

WNr.??? 271
  • 170271: Valid, but not indicated in the listings. Nothing is known.
  • 500271: Valid, but not indicated in the listings. Nothing is known.

In addition to the 500000 series, in the latter half of 1944 2./KG 51 had a significant number of machines from the 170099 to 170295 werknummer series. Extant photos of some of these in the late spring and early summer of 1944 show modifications of the their factory-applied grey RLM 74/75 camouflage schemes with heavy applications of a dark colour (probably green) in irregular snaking lines. It would appear that KG 51 took matters into its own hands to improve aircraft ground concealment during this period of increasing Allied aerial dominance, with the grey scheme most unsuitable. Some examples include two 1.KG 51 machines from the 130000 werknummer series: 9K+we.UH and 9K+we.YH.

In the late summer and early autumn another non-standard camouflage scheme is observed. For example, the well photographed 1./KG 51 machine 9K+we.BH reveals a medium-coloured upper surface colour over which were applied small patches and irregular lines in a darker colour. I think that this is another unit-applied scheme applied to older aircraft using the new ‘green and brown’ colours RLM 82 hellgrün and 81 braunviolett. Other photographic examples include WNr.170093, 9K+ge.BL of 3./KG 51, and WNr.110506, the uncoded aircraft captured by the Canadian at Diepholz or Nordholz.

9K+ge.LL shares this scheme, but also has a later applied pattern of swirling patches of a light colour on the fuselage that is probably RLM 76 weissblau, and a segmented pattern in the upper wing surfaces. The former is not uncommon and is seen in photos of several KG(J) 54 Me 262s where in some cases white was used.. What this does indicate is the machine was used over the winter of 1944-45 so is possible to have been on strength with KG 51 over part of or all of this time.

Taken together, I think it is possible 9K+ge.LL could be WNr.170271. Whatever its werknummer, between March 19 1945 and late April it suffered some incident resulting is its disassembly. I welcome further discussion on this and other possible candidate werknummern

Cheers,

David
Old 8th March 2018, 22:12
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

An expansion of my previous post (after re-reading my own web pages):
  • 17.10.44: Me 262, 9K+LL, Works Number 170013, pilot Obltn. Gärtner, belonging to Detachment Edelweiss, took off on 19/9 from Rheine to operate in the Liège area.
  • 08.01.45: LL, 110662 to strength, 4 x MK 108
  • 10.03.45: At 05.00, Oblt. Walter (TO) was advised by Prüfmeister Wasserschläver of 5./KG 51 that 110590, KL was one of five aircraft that could not be repaired owing to a lack spare parts (wing, jet units, nose tips).
  • 19.03.45: Obpfr. Plattner reported LL serviceable in a strength return at 23.45 hrs.
Old 9th March 2018, 00:20

Outstanding Nick!

Great to add a bit more information to the matrix.

Many thanks for sharing.

David

Tags
me 262, messerschmit, vilseck, wellenmuster