Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 9th January 2011, 14:09

Mysticpuma is on a distinguished road
Trying to identify this 110 shot down in Africa or the MTO. Pictures included.

I was sent these by Zack Taylor who's father (also Zack Taylor) flew with the 325th FG in Africa and the MTO.

I am not sure where this aircraft was shot down, only that it doesn't look like it made it home! The images are all I have to identify this aircraft, so I wonder if anyone has the ability to work out what aircraft it was and maybe the group and pilot (only because I know some of you can work miracles!).

I make the assumption it was in 1943 but it may be very early 1944 as Zack Taylor was only with them during that time.

So here are the pictures and I wonder if they can help to identify the aircraft and unit or even the location and date?

Thanks for any help, cheers, MP
Old 9th January 2011, 22:08
Alter Hase

Evgeny Velichko is on a distinguished road
Re: Trying to identify this 110 shot down in Africa or the MTO. Pictures included.

1. S9+MP - 6./ZG1
2. White fuselage band - MTO
3. Arque over pilots seat - proterction of pilot in case of overturning - indicate this as Bf110G-2.

So, it is summer 1943, Italy.
Old 9th January 2011, 23:28
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road
Re: Trying to identify this 110 shot down in Africa or the MTO. Pictures included.

Hi, all

The 'feel' of the picture says derelict and scavenged for usable parts to me. Would assume this one was located on or by an airfield or repair facility.

Regards,
Andreas B
Old 10th January 2011, 00:13

Sergio Luis dos Santos

Agree with you Andreas, just look the perfect aerial under the fuselage.
Old 10th January 2011, 12:06

Thank you for the replies gents.

I was given this information about the group from another forum;

"In March-April 1943 II/ZG 1 converted to the Bf 110 G-1 and G-2 at Monte Corvino. This was the Gruppe's base until August when it was withdrawn from Italy"

I'm just wondering if there is anyway of working out why it would have been stripped?

Looking at the position, and considering the lack of damage to the aerial as pointed out, could it have been shot up and RTB only to be deemed irreparable? I'm just looking at the 'debris' around which indicates that if it was stripped for parts, before being abandoned, I would expect it to be tidier and also surely the ammunition chains would have been taken first?

There also seems to be quite an impressive set of damage holes behind the rear of the cockpit and one under the centre of the cockpit and above the wing root?

I know I am just in a way, clutching at a few straws, but could it also have been strafed and abandoned/stripped shortly before the base at Monte Corvino was over-run?

Cheers, MP
Old 10th January 2011, 19:32
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

6/7/1943
II./ZG 1 Bf 110 G-2/Trop 45% Crash landing Montecorvino

10/7/1943
II./ZG 1 Bf 110 G-2/Trop 80% hit by Flak Montecorvino

12/7/1943
1) II./ZG 1 Bf 110 G-2/Trop 100% damaged in bombing attack Montecorvino
2) II./ZG 1 Bf 110 G-2/Trop 50% belly landing due to combat damage

20/7/1943
1) II./ZG 1 Bf 110 G-2/Trop 75% damaged in bombing attack Montecorvino
2) II./ZG 1 Bf 110 G-2/Trop 90% damaged in bombing attack Montecorvino
3) II./ZG 1 Bf 110 G-2/Trop 60% damaged in bombing attack Montecorvino

These are the likely candidates. By 23/8/1943 II./ZG 1 were operating out of Brest-Sud airfield. Unfortunately, the two main sources of information for aircraft damage/ losses do not give up a unit code of S9+MP.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 11th January 2011, 02:17

Sergio Luis dos Santos

This plane looks like have been hit in soil and not 100% damaged so... possibly one from the July 7 attack?
Old 11th January 2011, 11:31

Thank you for your help. Between this website and another it seems the 'mystery' has been solved (although not this aircraft directly).

For more images and video links of this airfield and abandoned 110's here is a link for those who may be interested.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...t=18046&page=2

Cheers, MP