Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 11th April 2016, 22:04
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Werner Baumbach ship destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasB View Post
Hi Nick

does that report cover 1941/42?

All the best

Andreas
It starts in January 1942. (Sorry to take so long in replying)
Old 12th April 2016, 09:43

Clint Mitchell is on a distinguished road

Another:

Attachment 13399
Old 12th April 2016, 10:09
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Thanks Jim P

A very nice summary!!
Still very surprised that Aufkl.Gr 120 were chasing ships in D-models in 1941.

Cheers
Stig
Old 12th April 2016, 14:46

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Regarding Baumbach's shipping claims, Der Adler from 25 March 1941 noted that he took off from Holland on 13 February 1941 in a Ju 88 and claimed one tanker, one auxiliary cruiser and one submarine in the Harwich area.

The official German claims were:

13.2.41, 13:25, II./K.G. 30, English 8,000 ton tanker sunk by two SC 250, east of Harwich, low-level attack from 40-50 metres altitude

13.2.41, 13:30, II./K.G. 30, English submarine attacked with eight SD 50, east of Harwich, after attack the submarine was not found, but a large oil patch was seen in the water.

Also at 13:30 on that day, II./K.G. 30 claimed a 10,000 ton merchant ship damaged with two SC 250, east of Harwich in a low-level attack.

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Air War Publications - www.airwarpublications.com/earticles
Old 12th April 2016, 16:04
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

[quote=Jim P.;217119]
Quote:
Like with most LW flying units and pilots, little is known or has been published about 1.(F)/Aufkl.Gr. 120 to this day.
Ouch, Jim! Granted, the 4 books Doug Stankey and I authored on the Kampfflieger-, Sturzkampfflieger- und Schlachtfliegerverbände were relatively brief summaries, such is not the case with the works of Jochen Prien, Eric Mombeek, Ulf Balke, Wolfgang Dierich and a good dozen others who have researched and written Luftwaffe unit histories!

I have a summarized 4 page unit history on Aufklärungsstaffel 1.(F)/120 and here are the primary non-published sources I used in the event anyone wants to research this unit:

NARA WashDC: RG 242 (T-312 roll 1033/1206, roll l070/59l and 969); (T-971 roll 19); AFHRA Maxwell: decimal 512.619 British AirMin P/W interrogations, ADI(K) series, microfilm rolls A5400-05, interrogation ADI(K) 127/44; AFHRA Maxwell: decimal 512.625S (British Air Ministry) OKL document; PRO London: AIR 40 Air Ministry intelligence reports and lists based on ULTRA, “Y” Service intercepts, captured documents and PoW interrogations; BA-MA Freiburg: Signatur RL 9/35 and Signatur RL 40/Kart; BA-MA Freiburg: RL 2 III Meldungen über Flugzeugunfälle…..(Loss Reports – LRs); BA-MA Freiburg: Flugzeug-Bereitstellungen (Aircraft Availability Status Reports – FzB) in: M.Holm-website (ww2.dk); K.Maesel correspondence with author; H.Löhr letter to W.Horst of 16 May 1993; web site forum.12oclockhigh.net.

L.
Old 12th April 2016, 16:17
Alter Hase

He, he Larry

And those of us who have your four books, can we pursuade you to write a fifth about the recce units??

Cheers
Stig
Old 12th April 2016, 17:18
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Jarlevik View Post
He, he Larry

And those of us who have your four books, can we pursuade you to write a fifth about the recce units??

Cheers
Stig
It's all written, Stig. I completed the research and finished the manuscript about 4 years ago. I am still trying to decide whether to make a book out of it or put it up on the internet. I don't think any publisher would touch it because only about 2% to 4% of the Luftwaffe fans have any interest in the reconnaissance units, and the cost of self-publishing and marketing say 1,000 copies could run to $25,000 to $30,000. But most importantly, there would be no photos or other illustrations and I am now too old to go through the considerable, stressful and time-consuming work of proofreading, editing and publishing more books. The procurement of say 250 photos could well cost twice that amount and take several years to accomplish. Frankly, publishing a book all by oneself is a gigantic pain right in the butt unless you are affluent, relatively young and have the time to devote to it. But, yes, it would be great to have a series of books that cover the basics and essentials for all Luftwaffe units, both fliegende- und Boden-, big and small.

L.
Old 12th April 2016, 19:01
Alter Hase

What a pity Larry

I can understand your 'wrestling' days are over. The publications I have made myself was also back in my youth and admittedly I had more stamina back then.

I cannot understand this 'mania' with fighters, fighters and again fighters.
Surely it is the whole picture that is important.

Of course if you can't publish it, the internet is second best, even if I myself belong to the generation who gets a pleasure just holding a good book in one's hand. No internet in the world can compare with that....

Good luck with your decision Larry.

Cheers
Stig
Old 12th April 2016, 19:21
Alter Hase

Thanks for your thoughts, Stig, and I wholeheartedly agree with your comments about the obsession ad nauseam over fighters at the expense of everything else. I never have been able to understand this fixated focus on what was just 1% to 2% of the entire Luftwaffe. Double ditto on the books, too. One of my favorite stops during my many research visits to Washington between 1979 and 1992 was the Library of Congress where I was able to finagle stack privileges. I was like a 7-year-old let loose in a candy factory - acres and acres of shelves holding 40,000,000 books. I guess the fighter fanatics can justifiably turn around and point their finger at me and say, "to each his own obsession!"

L.
Old 12th April 2016, 21:06
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough

How about crowd funding? It seems such a waist of time and talent not to publish as you had planned it.