Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 27th June 2005, 23:33
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
New and upcoming books

The Christian Schmidt catalog for June has arrived. Descriptions in German. Please note that I cannot tell if one or two may be reprints (though I saw no indication or nachdruck), or if a few have yet to be published. All are dated 2005.

Rijpsma, Radarstelling BIBER. Kustverdediging op Voorne 1940-1945. 140 Seiten, 21,5 x 30,5 cm, 200 s/w Fotos, Uebersichtskarten und Grundrisse. Text in hollaendischer Sprache!

Luftfahrt History 8:
Junkers Ju 322 "Mammut" Me/ZSO u.A. 46 Seiten, A4, durchgeh. s/w Fotos, Risse, Zeichnungen, a farb. Drei-Seiten-Risse.

Ritterkreuztraeger Profile 3:
Hermann Graf. 48 Seiten, DIN A4, viele s/w Fotos.

Held, Die deutsche Nachtjagd. Bildchronik der dt. Nachtjaeger bis 1945. Sonderausgabe! 232 Seiten, 21 x 24 cm, 517 Abb.

Held, Die deutsche Tagjad. Bild chronik er deutschen Tagjaeger 1945. Sonderausgabe! 224 Seiten, 21 x 24 cm, 513 Abb.

Kurowski, Hans-Joachim Marseille. Der erfolgreichste Jagdflieger des Afrikafeldzuges. Sonderausgabe! 22 Seiten, 17 x 24 cm, 141 s/w u. farb. Abb.

Luftwaffe Colours:
Williams, Nachtjaeger: Night Fighter Units 1939-1945, Vol. 1. ca 96 Seiten, 22,6 x 30,3 cm, ca 200 s/w Fotos, Farbprofile, Karten und Tabellen.

Vasco, Zerstoerer: Luftwaffe Fighter Bombers and Destroyers 1939-1945, Vol. 1. 96 Seiten, 22,6 x 30,3 cm, ca 200 s/w Fotos, Farbprofile.

Smith-Creek, Kampfflieger, Vol. 4: Summer 1943-Juni 1945. 96 Seiten, 22,6 x 30,3 cm, ca 250 s/w Fotos, 15 Farbprofile, Karten und Tabellen.

Steinhoff, In letzter Stunde. Verschwoerung der Jagdflieger, Vom Widerstand der Jagdflieger gegen Reichsmarschall Goering, Sonderausgabe! ca 302 Seiten, 15 x 20 cm, ca 35 Abb.

Steinhoff, Die Strasse von Messina. Tagebuch des Kommodore. Als Jagdgescwader-Kommodore in der Luftabwehrschlacht um Sizilien vom 21. Juni bis 13. Juli 1943. Sonderausgabe! ca 280 Seiten, 15 x 20 cm, ca 35 Abb. un Karten.

Vom Original zum Modell:
Focke-Wulf FW-200. ca 96 Seiten, DIN A4, zahlr. Farb u. s/w Fotos.

I have no connection to the seller, publishers or authors.
Ed
Old 28th June 2005, 05:43

George Hopp
Re: New and upcoming books

The two books by Held would appear to be reprints, both the titles and the page numbers being the same as for the original printings.

And, Steinhoff's two books are also almost certainly reprints-- the first one concerns the fighter pilots' mutiny in the last days of the war (I can't remember the title just now), and the 2nd has the English title "Straits of Messina."

If you haven't read these books, they were well worth getting, but they have been out before.
Old 28th June 2005, 13:55

Sergio Luis dos Santos

Well, since John Vasco´s title ins´t "secret" for now... Worth mentioning color profiles by Fernando Estanislau.

Both Held titles looks reprint as well as Kurowski. I have both Steinhof books in English. Interesting reading.

Last edited by Sergio Luis dos Santos; 6th February 2006 at 20:11.
Old 28th June 2005, 14:24

Primoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Hopp
The two books by Held would appear to be reprints, both the titles and the page numbers being the same as for the original printings.

And, Steinhoff's two books are also almost certainly reprints-- the first one concerns the fighter pilots' mutiny in the last days of the war (I can't remember the title just now), and the 2nd has the English title "Straits of Messina."

If you haven't read these books, they were well worth getting, but they have been out before.
Yes, indeed. All books described as "Sonderausgabe" (special edition) seem to be (cheaper) reprints.
Old 28th June 2005, 14:44
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

The Kurowski book on Marseille is probably the German version of the volume from Schiffer - which quite frankly bites. Get the Wübbe volume on Marseille instead.
Old 29th June 2005, 03:31

nick de carteret is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The first one was titled 'The Last Chance' in English and was originally published by Hutchinson in 1977.
Old 29th June 2005, 13:12
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

And "Luftwaffe Colours: Kampfflieger volume 4" is actually by me rather than Richard Smith and Eddie Creek.
Old 29th June 2005, 13:25

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road

Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Luftwaffe 1934 - 1945, Vol. 9 / I by Jochen Prien et al. will be out by mid July 2005, to be followed by parts II and III - hopefully - in October and December 2005 respectively. Vol. 9/I deals with the Winter War in the East, 1941 / 42 and will comprise some 430 pages, some 340 photos ( appr. 100 in colour ), maps, line drawings etc. as usual.

Work on Vol. 10 - Home Defense 1943 - is progressing steadily, so that we are planning to present this in mid 2006 latest; as far as can be seen up to now it will also have to be divided into two parts.

Jochen Prien
Old 29th June 2005, 17:57

FRANCESCO M LENTINI

The second Steinhoff's book also published with the title "Messerschmitts over Sicily" by N&A The Nautical & Aviation Publishing Company of America 1987, and the first with the title "The final hours" idem 1985.

Francesco Maria Lentini
Old 30th June 2005, 05:30

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Fellow Researchers,

I, too, received the Christian-Schmidt catalog. It seems more cheaply printed than in the past and the Luftwaffe offerings are meager and, as has been pointed out, many are retreads. I hope this isn't a signal that Christian-Schmidt is going downhill, but it certainly gave me pause.

Ditto with the offerings of Zenith Books, which hasn't had anything of significance in ages. It's a far cry from when I used to get their catalog and it was chock full of goodies.

Regards,
Richard