Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 17th November 2011, 13:47

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road
To Scale The Skies

Blatant self-promotion but herewith my latest offering. Useful stocking-filler for Christmas ?

Last edited by Peter Cornwell; 30th May 2012 at 08:43.
Old 17th November 2011, 17:00
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough
Re: To Scale The Skies

To add a little more to Peter's modest post.

Peter takes you through his early life in Norfolk to his joining the RAF as a ground mechanic, before being accepted for flying duties, His service in the pre-war RAF in the Med is covered, and his subsequent service as flying instructor. Moving to an operational squadron in the mid-war years, S/Ldr Johnny Wells led the Typhoon fighter-bombers of 609 Squadron during the Normandy landings in June 1944. His service was interspersed with staff positions, but his flying continued post-war, with him finally retiring with the rank of Group Captain.

This is a first-class work, by a first-class writer, about a first-class flyer. I recommend this book most highly.

Oh yes, I nearly forgot to mention, there is one superb photo of Johnny with Wing Commander de Goat of 609 Squadron. That goat looks so hard and menacing, I would put it up against any Luftwaffe mascot, even 'Assi' Hahn's bear!!!

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 17th November 2011, 17:47
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road

May I thoroughly recommend this book and echo John's sentiments.

I have only just finished reading it and it is a more than worthy addition to any bookshelf. Well written, informative and packed with detail and a good selection of well reproduced photographs.

I hope it does well, Peter. It deserves to!
Old 18th November 2011, 08:08

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road

Andy & John,

Thank you both for your generous comments. Hopefully I have done credit to Johnny Wells' inspiring story. What John Vasco fails to mention is that he was instrumental in bringing this project to fruition when he recognised the infamous William de Goat in a family photo album and told me about it. The rest as they say ...
Old 18th November 2011, 21:24
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

Peter is right, and it came about in a most circumspect way.

My son came home one night from his friend's house, and told me that his friend's mother had a huge collection relating to her uncle, who was a fighter pilot in WW2. He explained a bit about it, and said the squadron mascot was a goat. With that, I was most interested, said '609' straight away, and asked him to arrange for me to see the collection. So he did, and I was gobsmacked when I saw it. I then contacted Peter and said 'You gotta' see this, Peter'. So the arrangements were made, Peter came across to Norwich, and the rest is history (literally!), as they say. Peter and I, during our joint research work, used to agree that just when you think you can't be surprised any more something will come along and knock you sideways. This was one such moment.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 25th November 2011, 12:08

Jayslater is on a distinguished road

As Peter's commissioning editor, it was an absolute pleasure working with him on this book and am so very glad it has been well received. RAF Magazine gave the book a spread this week with material I selected. I do hope it generates some further sales and interest.

For any other budding aviation and military writers, feel free to drop me a line: jayslater at uk2.net

Cheers,

Jay
Old 25th November 2011, 15:17

Bombphoon is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: To Scale The Skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vasco View Post
To add a little more to Peter's modest post.

Peter takes you through his early life in Norfolk to his joining the RAF as a ground mechanic, before being accepted for flying duties, His service in the pre-war RAF in the Med is covered, and his subsequent service as flying instructor. Moving to an operational squadron in the mid-war years, S/Ldr Johnny Wells led the Typhoon fighter-bombers of 609 Squadron during the Normandy landings in June 1944. His service was interspersed with staff positions, but his flying continued post-war, with him finally retiring with the rank of Group Captain.

This is a first-class work, by a first-class writer, about a first-class flyer. I recommend this book most highly.

Oh yes, I nearly forgot to mention, there is one superb photo of Johnny with Wing Commander de Goat of 609 Squadron. That goat looks so hard and menacing, I would put it up against any Luftwaffe mascot, even 'Assi' Hahn's bear!!!
That's sold me. Will have to revise my Mrs's fuhrer order that she won't be buying me any more of "those bloody war books" for Xmas. Course not love. It's an aviation book.