Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 22nd May 2019, 21:19
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Placards on cockpits (inside) of US Aircraft

Dear all,

On behalf of a friend of mine, who was unable to register on the Forum.

On several recent (post-war) cockpit pictures of P-51 Mustangs, P-47, P-38, etc...some Placards inside the cockpit (instrument panel) with relevant DATA for the pilot are shown with letters painted in WHITE colour.

However, according to some aircraft Blueprints, they should have been written in PALE-GREEN colour.

My friend would like to know if one must trust the Blueprints instead of the pictures...or vice-versa? Which colour is THE correct one?

Perhaps some member from the US who may have been involved with restaurations of WW2 Warbirds can give us a help.

I do remain, most sincerely yours,
Adriano
Old 22nd May 2019, 21:21
Alter Hase

Re: Placards on cockpits (inside) of US Aircraft

Sample here:
https://www.aviationart.com/products...m-world-war-ii
Old 27th May 2019, 00:15
Alter Hase

Revi16 is on a distinguished road

Typically the instrument faces (or dials) were the pale-green color they were painted with Radium to "glow", but not all instruments were painted with Radium.

e.g.The Elgin 37500 never contained Radium or glowed. http://www.aviation-dream.com/images..._de%20bord.jpg

Anything painted on the instrument panel or decals could be any color.

Old 27th May 2019, 23:06
Alter Hase

REVI16,

I just passed the link of this thread and your answer to my friend. He thought that maybe there was some kind of standardization regarding the writings on PLACARDS of US manufactured aircraft.

Thank you for the most beautiful ilustrative pictures. Most welcomed for kits too...

Adriano on behalf of my friend