Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 31st March 2019, 13:08

jorfasan is on a distinguished road
Wilhelm Johnen's Bf 110G-4 c9+EN armament arrangement.

Hello everyone!

I'm a modeller and I'm planning to build Wilhelm Johnen's famous Bf 110G-4 C9+EN at the time he was forced to land in Switzerland's Zürich-Dubendorf airfield in April 1944.

However, I'm having some serious doubts about the armament arrangement of this nightfighter. I don't know if it carried Schrage Musik, rearward defensive Mg 81Z, or 30mm cannons in the nose area and 20mm on the belly.

In photos I cannot see any protruding gun tips in the nose but they may have been removed by the Swiss, also, while searching the net I've seen many profiles or kit models with different interpretations. The same applies to Schrage Musik or defensive Mgs facing rearwards.

What do you think?

I tried to google it but I had no luck at all, or perhaps my search was simply wrong. I'm sorry if this question has been already posted here.

Many thanks in advance for your kindness.

And, last but not least, many thanks for the add. This is my first post here.

Old 31st March 2019, 14:00
Alter Hase

Rottler will become famous soon enough
Re: Wilhelm Johnen's Bf 110G-4 c9+EN armament arrangement.

Hello jorfasan,

from Karl Ries „Deutsche Luftwaffe über der Schweiz 1939-1945“:
….. Equipped with FuG 10, FuG 8, FuG 16, FuG 25, FuG 202 and FuG 220, carrying about 400 to 500 liters of reserve fuel in its wing tanks plus two empty underwing containers the Bf 110 was only able to carry a reduced warload, consisting of only two MG 151/20 in the nose, the usual four MG 17 having been deleted. The aircraft was, however, fitted with the so-called „Schräge Musik“ (Rüstsatz 8), consisting of two MG FF in the rear half of the cockpit, firing forward/upward. …..The equipment was completed by three seat-type parachutes, one life jacket, four flare pistols with 19 rounds, two oxygen masks and one first aid kit. The entire aircraft was painted in a whitish gray (Nr. 76) with spots of Nr. 75 paint. Only the lower right wing was painted black. ….

Regards
Leo
Old 1st April 2019, 19:24
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Dear Leo,

Am sure you quoted 100% correctly, but the answer and very interesting information took my interest on the following topics:

from Karl Ries „Deutsche Luftwaffe über der Schweiz 1939-1945“:
…..The equipment was completed by three seat-type parachutes, one life jacket, four flare pistols with 19 rounds, two oxygen masks and one first aid kit …."

Since the crew was 3 members, why only "one life-jacket" (AND NOT 3?) and "four flare pistols" (and not 3?) and "two oxygen masks" (and not 3?)

If they had only 2 oxygen masks, their "plafond" or cruising altitude should have been reduced, isn't it? And I did not get the point in having 4 Flare pistols...

Am I missing something or was this the STANDARD LW Bf 110 G-4 crew equipment??

Adriano
Old 1st April 2019, 21:22
Alter Hase

Rottler will become famous soon enough

Hi Adriano,

I have quoted correctly. I know nothing about the standard crew equipment in Bf 110 G nightfighters, so that I cannot answer your questions.

Regards
Leo

Tags
bf 110g, c9+en, johnen, nachtgager, nightfighter