Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 21st January 2019, 12:21
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Yellow ID marking introduced in early March 1945 on Luftflotte 4 two-engine warplanes

I have a question regarding the Yellow ID marking introduced in early March 1945 on Luftflotte 4 warplanes I hope forum members will be able to answer.

Was the prescribed 50-cm wide yellow ring applied on the nose, or the engine cowlings of two-engine heavy fighter/ground attack aircraft (like Me 210/410, or Hs 129)? If the latter, was it applied in the middle of the engine cowling, or in front, close to the spinner?

Thanks, in advance.
Old 21st January 2019, 16:40

lumabe is on a distinguished road
Re: Yellow ID marking introduced in early March 1945 on Luftflotte 4 two-engine warplanes

Yes, of course !

You have for exemple, a Fw-189 captured at Salzburg and coded 5h+RK from NAG16.
An art profil shows it with the spinner and the engine cover painted in yellow.

The Hs-129 WNr: 141862 "White 1" from 14.(Pz.)/SG9, wercked at Ceske Budejovice and with the yellow band close to the spinner.

The Ju-188 D WNr: 0986 Code +IL ( Red letter I ) Captured at Linz and with the yellow band close to the spinner.

I hope I give you a good help.

Best regards,
Lumabe.
Old 21st January 2019, 17:50
Alter Hase

Re: Yellow ID marking introduced in early March 1945 on Luftflotte 4 two-engine warplanes

Thank you, Lumabe, for the details.
Was the mentioned Hs 129's photo published somewhere? I would like to take a look at the yellow ring on the engine cowling. Many thanks!
Old 24th January 2019, 08:24

Faenor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dénes Bernád View Post
Thank you, Lumabe, for the details.
Was the mentioned Hs 129's photo published somewhere? I would like to take a look at the yellow ring on the engine cowling. Many thanks!
Hi Mr. Bernad,

looks at this link, there is photo of Hs 129 from Deutsch Brod, not from Ceske Budejovice.
The yellow cowling is visible on the front view :

http://www.vrtulnik.cz/ww2/protektorat-brod.htm

Faenor
Old 24th January 2019, 08:45

Faenor is on a distinguished road

Hi,

an check this link:

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2013/0...er-poland.html

There is 1 photo of Hs 129 from Deutsches Brod (same like like on previous link, but better quality) and cowling of "White 11" looks like with yellow band.

Faenor

PS - that all on HS 129 from Deutsches Brod from my archive

Last edited by Faenor; 24th January 2019 at 10:15.
Old 24th January 2019, 18:27
Alter Hase

Thank you, Faenor, for pointing out that page, particularly the photo of the Hs 129 wreck with yellow engine ring. Quite convincing. That's what I was looking for.
Old 24th January 2019, 19:43

cproyston is on a distinguished road

I've also seen the markings applied to an He111 - there's colour photos of it somewhere on the internet [edit] here: http://silverhawkauthor.com/images/s...Hendon--3-.jpg

I have a photo of a Bf110 somewhere too (I thought this was with Stab SG10 based on its markings/location, but had confirmation from an SG10 veteran that the unit never operated the type so still no idea who's it was).

Cheers,
Chris
Old 24th January 2019, 19:50
Alter Hase

Thank you for the excellent colour photo. The yellow bands around the front engine cowlings are clearly seen.
I am wondering, was the rudder yellow as well (and the "classic" rear fuselage ring overpainted)?
Old 24th January 2019, 19:56

Digging back further still through my archive, I've also got a Siebel 204 at Budweiss (likely of Stab. SG10) noted.
Old 24th January 2019, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dénes Bernád View Post
Thank you for the excellent colour photo. The yellow bands around the front engine cowlings are clearly seen.
I am wondering, was the rudder yellow as well (and the "classic" rear fuselage ring overpainted)?
I recall seeing another photo which shows the rudder of this aircraft as yellow, but don't have the photos to hand