Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th June 2017, 14:43
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
Re: What was the ultimate fate of the pilot of ME-109 G5 "Black 11" (Seppe museum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottler View Post
Gen.Qu.: Hptm Wilhelm Lembke I./JG 3 Bf 109 G-6 410388
Hello Leo, if Gen.Qu reported Lemke as I./JG 3 (and it is not a simple typo of your part), that was a big mistake, as Lemke was commading II./JG 3, but then the Brekkens database could be right in the end, because there is also one loss to enemy fighters noted for enemy fighters this day for I./JG 3.

I don't have Prien's book for 1943 to check if I./JG 3 suffered a loss this day or not.

By the way, if there is no I./JG 3 loss known and it appears one of the three II./JG 3 losses was wrongly reported as I./JG 3, so all three losses were listed as "shot down by enemy aircraft".

Can the hour of the report listed above (1700 hrs) be the hour of the report rather than the hour of the crash ? So Soßdorf could have been shot down before the report, when Allied fighters were in the area.
Old 30th June 2017, 18:11
Alter Hase

Rottler will become famous soon enough
Re: What was the ultimate fate of the pilot of ME-109 G5 "Black 11" (Seppe museum)

Hello Laurent,

in the Prien books (JG 3 chronicles and Jagdfliegerverbände Teil 10/II) the I./JG 3 suffered no loss this day.
Furthermore there is no doubt that Hptm Lemke was commander / Gruppenkommandeur of the II./JG 3 from November to Dec 4, 1943.
The entry in the Gen.Qu. loss report (clearly "I./JG 3") is incorrect.

All three Bf 109 were shot down by P-47.
A footnote in the Prien books: According to the log books of Heinrich Sannemann and Helmut Lemke the II./JG 3 started in Volkel (Alarmstart) at 1410 hrs.
Therefore the crash of Uffz Soßdorf was long before 1700 hrs and the entry in the quoted German report is not plausible.

Regards
Leo