Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 11th October 2012, 13:00
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe losses on 11 October 1944

I have several German losses listed for 11 October 1944 but is missing data on them, so if anybody can complete the different cases below, your help will be very appreciated.

1) Uffz Alfred Kriege was killed when his Ar 96 WNr 4519 crashed at Horst, Stolp Kreis, Germany
An Internet sources says he was from II./JG 103 but so far all cases studied from this source have been right for dates, names, places and WNr but the unit was wrong, so can anybody confirm it or give the right unit ?

2) according to Gunter Rosipal JG 54 list, two important pilots of III./JG 54, Hptm Robert Weiss (Kdr) and Lt Peter Crump (Staka 10./JG 54) were involved in taxying accidents on this date on Bissel airfield but were not wounded. No WNr or damage percentage is given, and the Luftwaffe summary losses gives no loss this day for III./JG 54, so I guess the incident was very minor. Does someone have more on it ?

3) A Ju 88 of Wekusta 3 is reported to have crashed south of Stavanger, maybe shot down by a British aircraft, with the loss of its four crew. I have nothing more for this date, but suspect it is the same loss as below:
9 Oct 1944 – Ju 88D-1 (D7+WH) was shot down 130 Km East Northeast of herma Ness in the Shetland Islands. Although the aircraft managed a successful ditching and the crew were seen to exit the aircraft and board the life rafts, all were lost – Stfw Willi Meier, Wd Ass Martin Hanetzki, Uffz Willi Uderstedt, Helmut Helms and an unidentified additional air gunner.
http://www.wiki.luftwaffedata.co.uk/...itle=Wekusta_3

Can someone confirm the above loss took place on 9 October, or on the 11 ? Also I would like to know the British claimant, and the WNr.

Thanks in advance
Old 11th October 2012, 13:22

Ota Jirovec
Re: Luftwaffe losses on 11 October 1944

Hello Laurent,
it seems that the loss of Ju 88D-1 D7+WH matches very well with the claim of F/Sgt Mack and F/Sgt Walker of No. 611 Squadron RAF, who shared a "Ju 188" destroyed 80 miles E.N.E. of Herma Ness at 09.38 hours on 9 October 1944. The RAF pilots were flying Spitfire IXs on this occasion and were scrambled from Sumburgh. I can send you the transcription of Mack´s Combat Report if you wish.

Hope this helps,

Ota
Old 11th October 2012, 16:06

Charles Bavarois is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Laurent,

as for Alfred Kriege, II/JG103 is correct. He was a member of 7th Staffel and died when touching the ground in fog. Location is given like "Flugplatz Feldmarkt, Pommern"

Regards

Carl
Old 12th October 2012, 15:25
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

Ota, thanks. I will be interescept by a transcription or a scan/picture of the report, I send you a PM with my personnal email.

Charles, thanks for confirming II./JG 103 unit and giving aditionnal details.

Best regards