Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21st November 2012, 18:17

Tony Kambic will become famous soon enough
MACR 3005 - German AA Reports

I am reviewing the missions of my wife's uncle from the 384th BG. In light of the recent post by Henofred concerning German Anti-Aircraft reports, I see in MACR 3005 about 25 pages of reports that appear to be from the Luftwaffe, all translated in English. About half of the pages are from KU 1190, but the others are witness statements from the Luftwaffe Flak batteries 662 and 307, subdivision of AA group Marienfelde.

This MACR is for B-17 42-37781 that came down near Berlin on the March 9, 1944 mission. In one of the statements, a Lt. Horst Schutz describes that the wreckage is clearly a Liberator. ( No B-24s were near Berlin that day.)

Also, these witness statements are claiming the downing of this B-17, when the 384th witnesses saw bombs falling from above knock the tail off the aircraft and it spun into a nose dive. My wife's uncle noted this in his diary.

My question is, how and when were these German Flak commentaries added to the MACR? Are the part of the KU? Certainly the witness statement was done in German, so when were they translated? (Certainly we were not intercepting this type of transmission, were we?)

Was any part of the KU or information somehow passed to the Allies to informing them of a downed aircraft and capture and/or burial of aircrew?

This link should get you to this MACR:

http://384thbombgroup.com/_content/_...SortieKey=2093

Thanks

Tony