Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation after the Second World War.

Closed Thread

Old 5th August 2011, 02:49

General Savage is on a distinguished road
The A-10 and the Avenger Gatling gun

The GA GAU-8 AVENGER GATLING GUN mounted in the A-10 Warthog.
They actually built the aircraft for the gun. Not the gun for the aircraft.
This will give you some idea of the weapon's size.

The gun shoots at a rate of 4200 rounds per minute. Yes, four thousand. Pilots typically shoot either one- or two-second burst which set loose 70 to 150 rounds. The system is optimized for shooting at 4,000 feet.

Each of those seven barrels is 112" long. That's almost ten feet. The entire gun is 19-1/2 feet long.

A comparison of shell sizes to the 30 mm round.

It doesn't eject the empty shells but runs them back into the storage drum. There's just so dang many flying out, they felt it might damage the aircraft.

I don't know why I go to this trouble. No one ever answers and if they do it's just some negative comment.
Old 5th August 2011, 11:47

dp_burke is on a distinguished road
Re: The A-10 and the Avenger Gatling gun

Well most of your threads are simiply you posting links to things you find interesting on the internet, your not usually seeking information or asking questions are you?

You pop up some link to wiki and thats about it. If I want to know something about the A-10 I'll google it myself, but I don't feel the need to tell you about it, I googled the Battle of Berlin yesterday for some background information, I didn't go pasting up links on forums.

I'm not sure what response you want to threads that ask no questions and don't appear to seek any response. Other threads get responses because they ask questions, seek information, clarifications, names, dates, etc

I know that the RAFCommands for prohibits postings like this becuase they only fill up webspace and the moderators have to pay for the webspace at the end of the day, perhaps this is not an issue for the TOCH mods.

Sorry to be negative but what response do you want from people when all you do is post messages linking to things your interested in??
http://www.ww2irishaviation.com
Old 5th August 2011, 13:07

Having now done over a hundred of these 'things I am interested in', at no time has anyone in authority here ever criticized my style of posting. They can shut me down at any time at a key stroke, but haven't done so in the four years I've been here.
As I said the only reaction to any post is a negative one from someone like you.
I put the last line on my large informative post as bait to see who I could reel in.
I was expecting someone to say it was old information, which it is. Problem with that is that there are many members who have never seen it and I went to the trouble of putting it on this forum to show them and because it has a topic that fits the subject put there by the Administrators.
I am amused that you found it interesting enough to read, but you also scrolled right to the bottom of the post without getting bored.
I suggest that you start looking for subjects that are of interest to the members to help the forum and let the Administration worry about things like band widths.
Old 5th August 2011, 13:52

dp_burke is on a distinguished road

Trust me it didn't take long to scroll through 12 lines of your 'large informative thread'.

See, I try, where possible, to respond to people seeking assistance on this forum and not troll for responses for duplicating other peoples work.

You sought a response and got one.
http://www.ww2irishaviation.com
Old 6th August 2011, 02:00

I thought I'd put this here as a reminder of what to click on as you might not notice it above. I suggest you read right through it and then you can come up with more informative topics that aren't someone else's work to help enhance the forum.
Note that the rules only allow up to six photo attachments per topic if you ever do find something.
Your goal in trying to assist people where possible is admirable in context. It appears that two hundred people have been helped in six years. Well done.

Sticky: Rules, Guidelines and Tips
Old 6th August 2011, 18:10
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

General Savage, as "someone in authority" on this site, I must say that I too have no real idea of the point of most of your posts but I certainly worry when I see your words "I put the last line on my large informative post as bait to see who I could reel in." That's not why we're all here.

You say "I don't know why I go to the trouble ..." but what "trouble" do you actually go to that isn't for your own satisfaction? You'll see that lots of people on this forum do make a real effort to unearth information that others are asking about — they check research material, look up archive files and book references, scan documents and photos. Many of your posts simply seem to be saying "look at this thing that interests me" and really that kind of activity would fit better in a personal blog than on a forum.
Old 6th August 2011, 22:16

It's time to move on anyway. There is no friendship here. Anyone who would like to reply to anything is too scared to speak. It just isn't a forum it's too clinical.
Old 7th August 2011, 13:13
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Savage View Post
It's time to move on anyway. There is no friendship here. Anyone who would like to reply to anything is too scared to speak. It just isn't a forum it's too clinical.
And on that happy note, I'm closing the thread.