Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 11th August 2021, 21:44

Monaco is on a distinguished road
Air combat over Reghin 31.8.44, JG 52 vs. 52nd FG

Though this battle had been already the theme of a thread (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=4358) and I read the newest article by Pica/ Greiner of aiwarpublications there are still questions open for discussion. Maybe someone can shed a light on them...
According to some sources 2/Lt (Flight Officer) Cobbey of 4th FS/52nd FG claimed 3 Bf.109s during the combat (one was reportedly Fönnekold), but I found none in Mustangs with Yellow tails and other "sources". Were they inofficials like the 3 credited to Fönnekold?
Any info welcome!
Old 12th August 2021, 15:18

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough
Re: Air combat over Reghin 31.8.44, JG 52 vs. 52nd FG

Hi,

52nd FG records do not list any aerial victory claims by F/O. Cobbey on this occasion, and Olynyk does not list any either. He is credited in 52nd FG records with destroying three enemy aircraft on the ground: a liaison aircraft; a Bf 109; and a twin-engine aircraft. Therefore, it seems he did not shoot down Otto Fönnekold in aerial combat.

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Air War Publications - www.airwarpublications.com/earticles
Old 12th August 2021, 20:13

Monaco is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that Andrew, that helps a lot!
Old 16th August 2021, 10:34
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

I published a detailed study of this air battle in several languages (Hungarian, Rumanian, French). The Rumanian version from 2003 can be accessed for free on my Academia.edu page: https://www.academia.edu/40320338/Mu...s_over_Reghin_

In the air victory claims list I published on the last page (No. 19) Cobbey's name is not included. However, his name appears on the penultimate page with three ground kills (1 x Bf 109, 1 x liasion aircraft and 1 x twin-engie aircraft).

P.S. The mentioned Rumanian authors clearly used my study as reference, without giving any credit, as far as I am aware.
Old 16th August 2021, 11:52

Mihai Pica is on a distinguished road

Denes, Andrew has already answered correctly to the topic's question, I have no idea why you insisted in bringing in doubt the sources we used for our article, the archival material is readily available and well known, no need to "reference" it from your 2003 article.

PS: my nationality is Romanian not Rumanian, as you like to keep using it as a derogatory term, we're in the year 2021, also we've know each other for quite some time and I can't really understand where this attitude comes from, I hope you are not offended by the fact that we wrote an article on a topic you covered quite some time ago.
Old 16th August 2021, 12:20
Alter Hase

Mihai, the answer is in the last sentence of my previous post.
My opinion is if a researcher decides to tackle a specific topic, which can certainly be done as many times as new info comes out, the first thing is to check what has been published on that topic thus far. What I resent is that the article I wrote a while ago, indeed, which is freely accessible, was not referenced in your article's bibliography. That's all. Nothing personal here, as we indeed know each other and have co-operated (not with your co-author, though), only a professional observation.
Old 16th August 2021, 17:34
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Mihai and Dénes,

If you want to continue this particular line of conversation, it would be better to do it away from the public forum, I think. Thank you.
Old 16th August 2021, 17:35
Alter Hase

I agree. I have already sent a PM to Mihai. Case closed from my side.
Old 16th August 2021, 20:13

Trendle will become famous soon enough

Hello Dénes an Miha,
Hauptmann Helmut Lipfert, 6./JG 52, was a participant in the aerial battles of that day and describes in his excellent book “Das Tagebuch des Hauptmann Lipfert” (The Diary of Captain Lipfert) exactly the events of that day as follows:
Shelling by P-51 Mustang (Flight Officer Cobbey - 52nd Fighter Group - 15th USAAF), a few meters before touchdown for landing. The machine touches down, rolls out and finally stops with the engine running - Deutsch-Budak Airfield (Budacu de Jos - Kreis Bistrița-Năsăud) - Romania / Leutnant Otto Fönnekold - Squadron Leader / Shot in the neck - KIA (No crash!!!)
Flight Officer Cobbey is in fact the gunner and responsible for Fönnekold's death.
Lipfert is an extremely credible contemporary witness.
Greetings Fred
Old 16th August 2021, 20:55
Alter Hase

Last month I visited the very place, nearby a locality called back then, in German, Deutsch-Budak (in Hungarian Szászbudak, today Budacu de Jos, Rumania), to check out the location of Fönnekold's death.