Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 19th February 2021, 20:53
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: French Beute Aircraft

Ahhh

I should look before writing from memory......
So it was F-APQV and F-APQY which were on loan in France....

Well, at some point, the French stopped to issue their CdN in a straight order, ie following a logic sequence meaning there now are very large gaps in the French civil register.

Most likely they were intended to be filled in at some point but never were, hence most listings keep them even if nothing was ever issued.

Cheers
Stig
Old 19th February 2021, 21:45
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Currently on ebay are further French beute aircraft as follows:

ANF Les Mureaux 115

https://www.ebay.de/itm/FOTO-franzoe...EAAOSwoWBgLkAv

Cierva C.30

https://www.ebay.de/itm/FOTO-franzoe...QAAOSw0QlgLj7n

Potez 580/585

https://www.ebay.de/itm/FOTO-franzoe...gAAOSwSUBgLkIU

Potez 600

https://www.ebay.de/itm/FOTO-franzoe...kAAOSwcTJgLj5m

Regia Aeronautica LeO 451

https://www.ebay.it/itm/FOTO-BEUTE-L...wAAOSwLIhgLxev

Regards,

Clint
Old 20th February 2021, 14:13

rof120 is on a distinguished road
AA not Adl'A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Jarlevik View Post

(...)

Wasn't both F-APQX and Y on loan from Adl'A?
They must both have been much easier to request back....
However I have chosen to keep it with the last letter unknown

Cheers
Stig
Hello Stig. Please don't believe I'm trying to make you feel miserable. I don't think that Armée de l'Air ever was called Adl'A in France. After all I was a combat aircrew with the AA. It was long ago but I don't think AA changed in the meantime similarly with awful German abbreviations during WWII with lots of /, ( ) etc.

Here is an example from today:

Contacts ⋆ L'École de l'airwww.ecole-air-espace.fr › ... › Réglementation
Points de contact DRH-AA/SDEF/BAF/DESC/CELLULE OFFICIERS TOURS. Direction des ressources humaines de l'armée de l'air (DRH-AA) Sous-direction ...

I looked quite hard on the Internet but I never found Adl'A even though foreigners (non-French people) seem to love it.

PS: L'École de l'Air is not a school for children aged 3-10 but it's the French Air Force's officers academy. When they leave it they are promoted to sous-lieutenant and very often pilots (but there are other kinds of officers of course).
Old 20th February 2021, 14:42
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: AA not Adl'A

Quote:
Originally Posted by rof120 View Post
Hello Stig. Please don't believe I'm trying to make you feel miserable. I don't think that Armée de l'Air ever was called Adl'A in France. After all I was a combat aircrew with the AA.
I know that already
My friends in France tell me that all the time!

However I have just written it that way for 100+ years (guess I didn't want people to think all French pilots are with the Alcoholic Anonymous and FYI we also use the same short form in Sweden for those who can't stop drinking)

So you can take it any way you like. To me it is a small token of respect!
Cheers
Stig
Old 20th February 2021, 16:20

AA...

Oh I see, thanks. There is a problem when you have a good command (or not so good) of several languages for there are innumerable possibilities of coincidences, sometimes not really wanted, like:

AA in Germany is the same as the Swedish baj. (As you know the German A is the same as in Washington or the first a in Galland.)

I often wonder about the reactions of Swedish people living in France (I'm sorry for them) and hearing all the time "Nathalie Baye" (pronounced "baj"), a famous cinema actress, or "la baille" (quite rare in fact because most people say "la flotte" instead, which is wrong) - la baille is sea water. If you want to let a flat or a house you'll have to write a "bail" (say baj), a bail de location (a contract for letting the flat etc.).

There is a river called Prut or Prout in Eastern Europe. The sound of this is the same in Swedish as in French. I'd better stop here.

I fear there are thousands of such collisions between different languages including Spanish, Russian or whatever, you name it. The best solution is to ignore them and to stick to the original version in the (main) country of the language. So I'll stick to AA for Armée de l'Air (after all I am still an AA officer: lieutenant honoraire - not active any more). There are often several different explanations for one single abbreviation anyway.

PS: a last one for those who read English. Perhaps you happen to know the English word "after". In German this word has quite a different meaning, believe me. So it's useless to try to make changes because of such "accidents".

Last edited by rof120; 20th February 2021 at 17:59.
Old 21st February 2021, 14:26

AA or AA?

I fear we all forgot a wonderful example of AA. I am the main culprit: stupid rof120.

Did you ever hear of AA in a war? I guess so. It means anti-aircraft (defenses, guns, fire...) not Anonymous Alcoholics or some. Nobody ever suggested to change this abbreviation.

Did you ever change it into something else because of alcohol? Why not At-Act?

I am aware of the Swedish Systembolaget, the state network of shops which has a monopoly for selling any alcohol in Sweden including beer and wine - and rather expensively. So you poor Stig are unhappy and frustrated, and think that any AA must have a connection to alcohol. In France and certainly in many other countries they also have a big problem with alcohol but luckily in spite of this they don't change their air force into a society of alcoholics, which wouldn't be ideal would it.
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:19

AA - cont'd

Just a last little one:

What about American Airlines, aka AA? I just saw that it was the biggest airline company in the world 2018. It seems to be still strong and kicking.

I never heard or read that we shouldn't call them AA because of Alcoholic Anonymous.

There are most probably other meanings to AA. It depends in which field and I think everybody makes the necessary adjustments. So why not Armée de l'Air = AA? There is no reason.

QUOTATION from Wikipedia:

American Airlines, Inc. (AA) is a major American airline headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas, within the Dallas–Fort Worth metroplex. It is the world's largest airline when measured by fleet size, scheduled passengers carried, and revenue passenger mile. American, together with its regional partners, operates an extensive international and domestic network with almost 6,800 flights per day to nearly 350 destinations in more than 50 countries.
Old 1st March 2021, 19:43
Alter Hase

Hello,

Currently on ebay are the following French aircraft :

Potez 60

https://www.ebay.de/itm/org-Foto-Fra...gAAOSwGAhgPE80

Romano R.82

https://www.ebay.de/itm/org-Foto-Fra...4AAOSwawxgPE9K

Regards,

Clint
Old 2nd March 2021, 21:03
Alter Hase

Hello,

Currently on ebay is a photoo f a Caudron C.714 captioned as Beute at:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/S103-Foto-We...oAAOSwpJNgPhqg

Regards,

Clint
Old 3rd March 2021, 19:29
Alter Hase

Hello,

Currently on ebay is a photo of a DH.60G, or MS.60 named Palombe in German hands at:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Foto-Frankre...MAAOSwr9RgP9JF

Two questions:

1. Does anyone have any further details of this particular aircraft including its full registration?

2. What is the aircraft to its rear?

TIA,

Clint