Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 15th November 2016, 16:52

James Farrimond is on a distinguished road
Chatham - February 1942

Dear all

I wonder if someone can help me with an issue close to my heart. I had tried to research this myself but I'm afraid I have run out of ideas.

My grandfather was invalided out of the RN. From my recollection of conversations this was due to his vessel being hit by a mine. But it could equally have been the result of an air raid. Certainly he received shrapnel injuries.

There are two dates within his service record: 25 February 1942 and 30 March 1942.

At the time he was serving with HMS Pembroke I based in Chatham and his record suggests that he went to the RN Hospital Chatham for surgery.

I therefore assume that the incident took place in the vicinity of Chatham in or around February 1942.

Has anyone any record of any incident which could account for his injuries or any further avenues of exploration for me to research?

Regards

James
Old 15th November 2016, 17:44

hucks216 is on a distinguished road
Re: Chatham - February 1942

Although his records state Pembroke I, this might just relate to where his papers were kept (i.e. his base port) and he could still of served on a ship at that time which might not of been recorded in his service papers.
Old 15th November 2016, 17:53

Thank you huck216.

His records also show Europa in Lowestoft (also a shore base) and before that the trawler Galvani. But I've not come across any records that she was damaged by a mine.
Old 17th November 2016, 11:48
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road

Hello James
according to Wiki: HMS Pembroke I - accounting base at Chatham between 1940 and 1960.

HTH
Juha
Old 17th November 2016, 15:15
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road

James - l believe as Juha says HMS Pembroke I was what my Dad referred to in naval talk as a 'Stone Frigate' or shore base.
I looked through the Key Points damaged reports and could find no mention of a raid in the period you show . One reference to 1942 was afternoon of 26th Oct 1942 just shows Chatham RN Dockyard attacked , there was also an online reference to an attack on 3/4th March 1943 in which 5 were killed.
There are a couple of books titled Chatham Naval Dockyard and Barracks one by David T. Hughes and another with a similar title by Clive Holden but I do not know if they are of any help. Have you tried the Chatham Dockyard Museum perhaps they could help ,

Regards
Brian Bines
Old 17th November 2016, 17:11

Cheers Brian. I'm sure I've asked for their assistance in the past but it can't hurt to try again.
Old 21st November 2016, 10:08

andy bird is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi James,

Currently ghost writing a bio on a retired city based financier whose father was a naval officer, and mother was based at Chatham in the period you mention:

"My mother spent 13 hours in a shelter sheltering from a potential explosion on the base. A magazine on a vessel nearby had to be made stable, unfortunately it exploded injuring and killing those in the vicinity. Fortunately it was contained peppering the brick work and just knocking out our front door, windows and roof slates.[sadly missed this excitement as I was at school in Rugby.]"

Regards

Andy B
Old 27th November 2016, 10:37

Hi Andy

This sounds interesting. Can you tell me a little bit more? Any dates etc?

James