Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th October 2008, 09:41

Bernard is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe losses. Rhubarb. 28/08/18941.

August !

On the 28th of august 1941, No.41 Squadron flew a Rhubarb operation in
Le Havre area loosing Sgt W F Bodkin RCAF Killed, and claiming a Bf109 damaged:

AIR/50/18.p 220.Date: 28/8.41.Flight, Squadron: 41 Squadron.Number of enemy aircraft: 8 to 12.Type of enemy aircraft: 109F.Time attack was delivered: In region of 1550.Place attack was delivered: Le Havre.Height of enemy: 1000/2500 FT.Enemy casualties: 1 damaged.Our casualties: 1 Spitfire Cat.C.GENERAL REPORT:We took off at approximately 15.40 hours. F/Lt Bush was leading 3 sections of 2 aircraft of No.41Squadron on a minor operation in the region of Le Havre. The Flight flew at 200 ft. Until nearing theFrench coast, where they climbed to 2/3000 ft. And swept around to the right towards Le Havreaerodrome as arranged. No.1 Section leading lower down were just too late to get the first aircrafttaking off and got in a head on attack as the 109s. Turned around and upward towards them. Myself and Sgt. Bodkin did a head on attack on the next two 109s wich had also made a right hand climbing turn of 180°. The 109 that I was firing at came so head on that our bullets both hit each other. Bullets were seen entering this 109. I passed very close overhead. I then turned sharply to the left with my No.2 and attacked the next two 109s, wich were on our port. Two moreaircraft, wich I presumed were our Walker 2 Section came in overhead, and there were 4 or 5 milling about in a left hand turn with myself and Sgt. Bodkin. I continued around, as it was givingan excellent opportunity for the two top aircraft to attack those following us about. On anotherpartial turn I saw no spitfires and only 109s. I pulled in sharply and cut across onto a 109' s tail,firing a sharp burst and two long bursts, ending up by cutting across at a slight angle. Atapproximately 50 yards range he turned inward and downward and poured smoke. Meanwhile twoother 109s were on my tail, and I felt another bullet or two hit, so i turned upside down at 1000/1500 ft. And turned around a farmhouse and a few fields and buildings with 3 or 4 109s firing and following behind and ducked over the cliff. The R.T. message at the first of our combat had come that Walker aircraft were going out. I did a few runs parallel to the shore a few hundred yardsoff the coast, calling up Walker aircraft, but received no reply, and no other aircraft were to be seenso I started home, but sighted a small single funnel ship approximately 10 miles N.N.W of Le Havre and managed to pour a few bursts from 10ft. Elevation with little effect seen, as my windscreen was covered in oil. The ship seemed to pull the plug, belched blck smoke, and alteredcourse. Something or someone fell overboard as I pulled up just over the top of it. I continued onmy course back as petrol was leaking and there were a few holes showing in the aircraft. It isconsidered that the third aircraft engaged was seriously damaged, at least.S/Ldr Gaunce.

Any details on the Luftwaffe side ?

Many thanks.

Bernard.
Old 30th October 2008, 14:45
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Luftwaffe losses. Rhubarb. 28/08/18941.

Not JG 2 or JG 26
Old 30th October 2008, 15:24

Thank you, Chris.

Bernard.
Old 11th November 2008, 13:51

Steve Brew is on a distinguished road

Hi Bernard

May I ask your interest in this incident, please? I am in touch with Bodkin's son. I have looked into Bodkin's loss and believe it was likely aircraft of a Le Havre-based flying school that were responsible, but being at work at present, I do not have my files to hand to check on. However I will do so when I am home this evening. Feel free to contact me directly on brewATclients.ch

Steve
Old 11th November 2008, 19:19
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road

Hi

I see that the Erg.Gr./JG 27 performed Feindflüge on this date. Maybe this is the unit? One of them had an accident at Ütersen, pilot error given as reason... but it is about 1000 km away...

One JG 2 damage, but stated as being on a non-operational flight

Regards,
Andreas B
Old 11th November 2008, 22:11

Steve Brew is on a distinguished road

Information on Tony Wood's site suggests it was 4.(Eins)/JFS 5, which made claims for no less than nine (!) aircraft on this date, the claimants being Uffz. Peter Gerth, Ltn. Franz Bauer and Obfhr. Hans Heim.

The 41 Squadron Form 541 states: “6 A/C Rhubarb 1510-1620” and shows the pilots on the mission were as follows:

Gaunce, Lionel M., Sqdn. Ldr., Spit. Vb, W3374
Bush, Charles R. Flt. Lt., Spit. Vb, W3636
Bodkin, W. Fred, Sgt. Plt., Spit. Va, R7255
Gourdeau, Joseph C. R., Sgt. Plt., Spit. Va, R7213
Ranger, Geoffrey Plt. Off., Spit. Vb, AB872

Note that that the ORB states it was a six-aircraft operation, but I’ve only got five aircraft written down, and can't tell you whether I have made the error or whether the sixth aircraft is missing from the page; I'll have to check. It could of course also be that six pilots set out but one returned early due to trouble with some piece of equipment.

I understand that 4.(Eins)/JFS 5 based on the Channel Front in summer 1941, and flew operational missions from Le Havre-Octeville Aerodrome, in support of JG 2 and JG 26 for the defence of France. Interesting to note, though, is that although Bodkin appears to have been the only pilot lost in 11 Group’s operations that day, 4.(Eins)/JFS 5 actually claimed nine Spitfires, and there were only five or six 41 Squadron aircraft on the sweep.

4.(Eins)/JFS 5 was based at Le Havre-Octeville Aerodrome from 1 July 1941 to 1 April 1942, when it was disbanded. During this time, they claimed 80 victories, an amazingly high figure to claim in a nine-month period for a flying school! This aside, however, the implication is that either Ltn. Franz Bauer, Uffz. Peter Gerth or Obfhr. Hans Heim were likely responsible for shooting down Bodkin in Spitfire Vb, R7255, on 28 August 1941.

Gaunce made a claim for a damaged Me109 in the Le Havre-off Fécamp area, but his aircraft was damaged and Bodkin and his own aircraft were lost.

Bodkin's son believes his father was shot down but has had a hard time trying to piece the full story together. Any further pointers/suggestions would be appreciated.

Bernard, do you have a photocopy, digital image, or scan of Gaunce's Combat Report 220, which I don't have, but would like to provide Bodkin's son?

Thanks
Steve
Old 18th November 2008, 13:24

Dear Steve,

Thank you very much for your message, I am sending to you the files you requested.

Very best regards.

Bernard.